Doubles band torque specs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenrikBP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've searched and seen various methods for doubles assembly. How much to tighten the bands seems to vary from "snug" to "guten-tight" with mention of using a torque wrench.

The reasons given for tightening the bands down tight seems to make sense to me; don't want the tanks to slip out of alignment and put stress on the manifold.

It seems that the reason for not going too tight is to avoid distorting the bands. Can anyone clarify?

But does anyone have actual torque specs for the bands?

I would think that tanks expand a bit when full as compared to empty. Is it enough that the bands should be tightened with the tanks empty?

Thanks,

Henrik

When tightening mine I keep an eye on the center section. When it starts to dimple around the bolt head/nut I back off a little. They only need to be snug. When you start to fill they will usually "creak" a little from the expansion of the tanks. This is normal.

Which bands do you have, ideally they are all done the same.

I have Highland bands.

Thanks for the Halcyon link. Halcyon says pretty much the same as Matt mentions: tight but no distortion of the bands.

Thanks guys,

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom