Doubles and DIRF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've also decided to dive it in doubles. I've been diving with my BP/W for about two years, and have 100+ dives on it. I've got 8 doubles dives so far, and I'm not even taking the class until June. I am hoping I can get the Tech Pass on try #1. By then I should have ~50 doubles dives, so I think it's reasonable.

I'm curious, what are the different outcomes you can get? Tech Pass? Rec Pass? Provisional? I think I know what Rec Pass means (you get the certification card), and I think a Tech pass means you get the cert card, and can take Cave/Tech1 whenever you want. What does Provisional mean?

Tom

Provisional means that you can return within 6 months for a reevaluation without retaking the course.

A fail means that the instructor does not feel that you will meet standard within 6 months time, and you must retake the course if you seek certification to that level.

Tech pass/ rec pass was started after I took Fundamentals, but my understanding is that a Tech pass is only aquired when the skills are performed to standard while wearing doubles and a cannister light and appropriate exposure protection. The Tech Pass shows that a diver can perform the skills and tasks while wearing the same equipment required for further training within GUE.

Keep in mind, the purpose of the course is to learn. It is not a test, but a class.

A fail means that the instructor does not feel that you will meet standard within 6 months time, and you must retake the course if you seek certification to that level.

According to AG if one got a fail that meant that perhaps chess would be a more suitable pastime (his words,not mine).

Keep in mind, the purpose of the course is to learn. It is not a test, but a class.

Once fundies became a pass/fail thing, it became a test. There is a ton of learning but in the end it is a test for those wishing to advance.

I've also decided to dive it in doubles. I've been diving with my BP/W for about two years, and have 100+ dives on it. I've got 8 doubles dives so far, and I'm not even taking the class until June. I am hoping I can get the Tech Pass on try #1. By then I should have ~50 doubles dives, so I think it's reasonable.

Do you have a mentor who has been through the process? One that you can dive with between now and June? If not your chance of passing it first time around are slim.

The best advice I can give students in your position is that turning up for the course in new kit tends to mean that you will not get as much out of it as you would if you had built a little familiartity prior to the course.

This does not mean practice of the course skills themselves, after all how can you practice something that you have not been taught, but weighting in your new kit, good buoyancy and trim help to make a great start which we can build on during the four days of the course.

Mentoring is good, but be slightly careful about how much you seek to learn and from whom. The Fundamentals class has been extended and allows time now for instruction, repetition and progression during the class dives so practice beforehand is less important than it used to be. I've had many students gain tech rating who have turned up having had no exposure to the drills and proceedures that we teach on the course but who have brought to the class a good sense of buoyancy and team awareness.

So book on your course, do a few dives between now and then with friends who can perhaps give you feedback on your in water position and help you with weight checks etc., then go train with an open mind and have fun :)

Provisional means that you can return within 6 months for a reevaluation without retaking the course.

FWIW, I've seen now that the Provisional has been given an extended time beyond 6 months, and in fact up to a year. I've also noted that there has been provisions where the original instructor does not have to be the one to do the final evaluation.

The only thing they need to work on now is to stop wasting time provisionaling a student when they're good enough already for the level sought. The proof there is watching a student or several perform no better, and in some facets noticeably worse on a re-eval, yet getting the cert after one 30 minute (or less) dive.

Once you get the Tech Pass, does that ever expire? I know I won't take Cave class until next year sometime, if then. If it expires, I will probably just have to take it with a different agency.

I've asked several people who know what good trim looks like to comment on mine, and I don't think buoyancy and trim will be an issue, but I don't have anyone local to dive with that I really trust to evaluate me (at least in a DIR sort of way.)

Tom

I believe every cert has an expiration (3 yrs.?) Whether you choose to re-up is your choice.

It's an easy procedure but I believe the only reason anyone would really need to do so at best is to be able to take the next course. Even that I highly doubt would be any real obstacle to overcome, given what the re-up typically involves.

GUE cards are good for 3 years from the date you took the course. You need to do 25 dives at your highest level for certification, submit your logbook, and pay $30 to renew. If you are DIRF you need 25 recreational dives in those 3 yrs. Ditto 25 cave or 25 tech dives to renew those cards.

According to AG if one got a fail that meant that perhaps chess would be a more suitable pastime (his words,not mine).

The DIRF of AG's era is long gone (unfortunately).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom