Double tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It might be awhile before I actually am able to dive doubles, actually looking at a set but, I was wondering if I could get a favor from any of you here. The taller the better (maybe).

I'm 6' 6" and I have a pretty good reach. With my single tank, I really have no issue in grabbing and turning off my tank valve. Also, I haven't practiced turning it off as a drill as I haven't made my buddy aware of it, yet.

With that thought in mind, I was wondering if I could get any of you to try and see if you can turn off (or do valve drills) the valves on your doubles setup with only your right arm. I guess that would be the main determining factor on whether or not I get a set of doubles. If no one will be able to, I may not get the doubles I'm looking at getting.

So please test that next time you are out if you will. Make sure your buddy knows just incase you get introuble. :wink:

Thanks,

Michael

Don't lock yourself down like this. There are workarounds that can be used. Specifically in your case, I'd be looking at a manifold that had no wheel on the left tank so it's just "always on". If you can reach the knob over there (and some divers can) then great. If not, it's not a showstopper.

Supposedly, this is something that AG can do. I, myself have never tried it, but I'll give it a shot.

Well, I was going to see if there might be a work around. I'm not aware of any at the moment but, I've been trying to look into it. Work, for whatever reason, keep stopping my search for an answer.

Wouldn't an "always on" be a bad idea? If my left side started free flowing o-ring busts and I could only turn off the manifold valve, wouldn't that be bad? I know I'd still have the right side but, my tank would freeze to my butt! Unless I'm looking at all of this wrong. Please tell me if I am.

Michael

rhlee:
Supposedly, this is something that AG can do. I, myself have never tried it, but I'll give it a shot.

I'd greatly appreciate it. I just want to be safe as possible with being able to turn off any valve I needed to. Plus, doing the valve drills with one hand would be fun. :wink:

Michael

mike_s:
mwhities, I can definately tell you that the 'banana hammock' on your profile pic is not DIR :D

A little of topic there bud. :wink: (I like the way it feels. :))

Michael

PerroneFord:
Don't lock yourself down like this. There are workarounds that can be used. Specifically in your case, I'd be looking at a manifold that had no wheel on the left tank so it's just "always on". If you can reach the knob over there (and some divers can) then great. If not, it's not a showstopper.

I think to be "DIR" you have to be able to manipulate the left post -- you can't even pass DIR-F in doubles w/out doing a valve drill, right?

Not sure, that's why I'm asking here. No point in going doubles if you can't help save yourself.

Michael

I could do a full valve drill with ether hand in my 3mm. I know a guy who can do it in his drysuit, but mine doesn't fit quite that well. So, yes, it is possible.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom