Double Tank Protector.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Noooo!!! Before the usualy war starts, I'm not talking about mesh tank protectors, which have been beaten to death on this board.

I'm talking about the Double Bands/Tank Protector, that Reef Scuba sells.

I was thinking that these might be a good idea for AL80s.

First of all, I'd think that the rubber would help keep water out of the area between the tank and the band, especially on shot blast or brushed finished tanks, which have a textured surface.

Also the aluminum tanks wouldn't be making any contact with the SS bands
(2 unlike metals in direct contact + salt water = bad).

Someone did tell me that they're not really necessary as long as you rinse the tanks well after each dive, but I did hear of someone who's double 80s started pitting after just a few salt dives.

I was hopeing to hear from others who have used this sort of thing.
As you know I just have the HM bands against the shotblast luxfers. and only been in salt water a few times. I haven't really noticed any corrosion or oxidation that can't be rinsed with a hose.
I am not really expecting the alu's to preform like steel tanks anyhow. As cheap as the alu tanks are, it's easier on the pocket to change them out, and turn them into deco or stages bottles.
What is bad about the alu+steel=bad??

I've heard that having 2 non-like metals in direct contact with each other, especially when being exposed to salt water can cause corrosion.

I know some people who just cut tire inner tubes for use with Al80s. They're a good idea with steel bands and Al tanks.

BTW, the corrosion problem is the reason that galvanizing works on steel tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom