Double LP 85's with a 7mm wet suit wing sizing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobyPro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking about rigging for double LP85's, and currently wearing a wet suit. One of these days, I'll switch to dry, but it is going to take training and money :wink:

If I were planning to dive this rig, what would I need in terms of wing sizing? I'm currently using a Torus 35 for my singles rig with a medium SS bp and a hogarthian harness.

Peter

I'm thinking about rigging for double LP85's, and currently wearing a wet suit. One of these days, I'll switch to dry, but it is going to take training and money :wink:

If I were planning to dive this rig, what would I need in terms of wing sizing? I'm currently using a Torus 35 for my singles rig with a medium SS bp and a hogarthian harness.

Peter

Steel doubles in a wetsuit is not really a good idea period. Having said that I've done it many times, but only where there was a shallow finite bottom.

Laguna in steel doubles and a wetsuit is not a huge risk, the oil rigs, no thanks.

Why? Because at Laguna the bottoms at ~50 and your suit will still have quite a bit of buoyancy.

My suggestion is to find a pair of al 80's to double up, or wait until a Drysuit is in the equation.

Tobin

As someone who owns a DS and LP85s, I'd strongly suggest getting the DS FIRST! Then hit Tobin up for that doubles wing (that's what I did).

Peter

In answer to the OP's question...... I would look at a 40-45lb wing.

Yeah, realistically (at the moment) most of my diving is in 25-70' of water. Lately it's been a lot at Vet's at night, and hovering around 50-60', because that's where the micro action has been.

A big part of me wants to start playing with doubles because A) 85cu isn't enough air for my .6 SAC, and B) I want to start practicing skills, all of which will change a bit when I add a DS into the equation.

OTOH, if I save the money I'd spend on rigging my doubles and wait around until I find a used DS, I'll probably be better off.

Peter

Steel doubles in a wetsuit is not really a good idea period. Having said that I've done it many times, but only where there was a shallow finite bottom.

Laguna in steel doubles and a wetsuit is not a huge risk, the oil rigs, no thanks.

Why? Because at Laguna the bottoms at ~50 and your suit will still have quite a bit of buoyancy.

My suggestion is to find a pair of al 80's to double up, or wait until a Drysuit is in the equation.

Tobin

I use an LCD 50 wing with my lp85's, lp72's and soon lp95's. And I'm diving a 3 mil or a 5 mil in hard bottom locations but I'm also carrying a 50lb diverite lift bag as back up along with my DAN sausage that has 40lbs of lift if needed.

I might hot on the trail of a drysuit in very short order, so I'll see how it goes and keep working on the rest of my gear :wink:

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom