Double hose and BPW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These Oxy plates work fine with the DH regulator:

I rather like them with several caveats, the shoulder straps tend to sag making entry and exit somewhat more difficult than a hard plate and the plate is flexible and therefore negative tanks will tend to flop side to side. This is expected since the Oxy plate was intended for aluminum 63/80 cylinders and is fine with the steel LP72 also. I chock my tanks by installing a cam band pouch left on the top and right on the bottom and tucking them in close to the plate to help prevent the tank from rolling. The wing will sit partially obscuring the dh cans. It is possible to get the tank and regulator lower and more centered between the shoulders with the Oxy plate than with the VDH plate, maybe :wink:.

As to the OPs question, install the wing to the VDH plate, especially since you have the larger 30# wing, such that it is as low on the plate as you can. The upper fabric will sit between the regulator cans and the cylinder. Yes it will be pinched and in use it will not matter. And if you are well trimmed and horizontal in the water the air will move the full 360 degrees. And of course, if weighted optimally, there will be minimal air in the wing, only enough to offset the cylinders negative buoyancy. Push the plate and wing up when installing to the cylinder such that the cutout in the plate is about .5 inch below the bottom of the can. This helps with optimal positioning and prevents the wing from trying to extrude.

And you will note here, though I have a dastardly single hose regulator installed, that on my VDH plate with the 23# VDH wing installed the top of the wing is below or even to the cutout:

Yeah, sometimes I feel like getting a full breath of (dry) air, spear me :wink:.

James

Morning all. Hope you're doing well.

I have a question about buoyancy devices and double hose diving.

I have never dove my DAAM's with anything but a harness or backplate of some sort. Currently I have a VDH style plate with a VDH 35lb wing which I love. I have dove the DAAM with just the plate and it worked great. But what if I want to add buoyancy?

When looking at how the DAAM sits in the plate it would be squeezing the wing between the edges of the plate cutout and the can of the regulator. Do you dive a BPW like this with a double hose? Wouldn't it pinch the wing and not allow air to move or is it not a big deal?

What type of buoyancy device are you wearing that provides a good balance between regulator placement and wing (or whatever) buoyancy performance? I know some charters won't allow diving without a BC of some sort.

Thanks for your time.

Safe diving.
@Ghost95,

I recently purchased a new VDH 23# Argonaut wing to use with my DAAM (actually, a 1st gen PRAM) and VDH Classic doubles plate. Like @James79 and others, I route the top of the wing between the DAAM's can and the cylinder valve (rather than between the plate and the can). Works great, no issues.

ETA: I don't have a pic of the above singles configuration, but I do have a pic of a doubles configuration (using a Dive Rite CCR Wing), which is similar, here: New Faber LP50's

rx7diver

And, just to throw it out there, if you had an Argonaut then the taper in the cans accommodates the wing nicely . The Argonaut is shaped like a flying saucer, the old time metal cans are shaped like, well, a frying pan .

James

@Ghost95,
@Ghost95,

I recently purchased a new VDH 23# Argonaut wing to use with my DAAM (actually, a 1st gen PRAM) and VDH Classic doubles plate. Like @James79 and others, I route the top of the wing between the DAAM's can and the cylinder valve (rather than between the plate and the can). Works great, no issues.

ETA: I don't have a pic of the above singles configuration, but I do have a pic of a doubles configuration (using a Dive Rite CCR Wing), which is similar, here: New Faber LP50's

rx7diver
Thanks.

I see what's going on in the pic. Looks like I need to raise my plate/lower wing. That will help alot.

Right now my plate is centered in the cut out of the wing. Works great for single hose but wouldn't work so hot for a double with it's big can.

Thanks all.

Got it - @SubseaSports is/was making vintage plates in stainless steel.

And aluminum...

Looks like everyone has you sorted out.

This is the Tall version of my plate
This is a DGX wing, I believe 23 or 24 lbs.
20220423_130534.jpg

I am able to keep the wing in front of the can with very little restriction.
I have my weight dialed in so don't really use/much air in the wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom