double 95's??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrecker

Reaction score
hey all, ive been thinking about changing to double 95's i usually dive single 95 or double 100's but i like the 95's because if you overfill them a bit you get a fair amount more air then the 100's. any suggestions or opinions appreciated.

Wrecker once bubbled...
hey all, ive been thinking about changing to double 95's i usually dive single 95 or double 100's but i like the 95's because if you overfill them a bit you get a fair amount more air then the 100's. any suggestions or opinions appreciated.

I havent dove 95's so i do not know much about their characteristics but if you are only looking at the amount of air i'd say it depends, what type of diving are you doing? What is your SAC rate? Double 95's might be overkill, just right or not enough for a particular dive.

My wife dives double PST 95s, as do some of my female dive buddies.

For trim reasons, I have been warned off of doubling up my Faber LP95s, as apparently their weighting is too top heavy (IIRC). Never doubled them, so I can't say from experience.

I have tried my wife's PST 95s, and I find them to be too short for me, esp. on the surface. I can't sit down with them because when I sit the bottoms of the tanks don't rest on the ground - making them uncomfortable on the surface.

For the same reason, my wife can't handle my double E130s (the new PST replacement for the LP104s). They are too tall for her frame, so if she sits down with them they will push her forward.

Certainly the bands could be adjusted for this, but it would result in throwing the tanks off-balance on your back.

My wife is 5'4, and I am 6'3, so your mileage may vary.

Almost ALL of the tech divers I know dive either the PST104s or the PST E130s. I am not an experienced tech or doubles diver - so perhaps someone with more experience than I have can weigh in on the subject.

-david

i work at my LDS and help out a lot with OW and AOW classes so i get a lot of quarry time generally 40'is at 30minish im looking for a set up thatll last me a weekend - 4dives i also do some very nontec wreck dives 90-100ish @25minish (looking to get more tec in the not so distant future and would like a set up that can support this) ive got a sac of .9ish.

Double 95's are a nice rig. Not to long to be cumbersome when on and when pumped a bit can give you 238 ft of gas.

IMHO, I think the Faber 95 is one of the best tanks you can get. You can get an OMS, but they are made by Faber anyway and end up costing more. PST has their new higher pressure version, but I am still researching them.

Wrecker,
My comments are similar to David Evan's.
I am 6'2" and 95's are a little too short above and below the water. I carry a 4X4 block to rest the tanks on while I gear up. Below the surface, they are a little "tippy". Maintaining trim is more difficult than with longer tanks. I still dive both sets but like the longer tanks best and they carry more gas.
Dive Safe,
Larry

Fabers flat suck.They have a merest whisp of zinc on them.My OMS are the same age and have less than 1/10 the rust the Fabers do.I have both the OMS 98s and Faber 95s.They work fine.I have no idea why the would seem harder to trim.Filled to 3500 you get 252cuft.

Daylight and others,

When you say you like longer tanks (than the 95s), do you prefer PST 120s or 130s (old HP120s or LP104s) and if you could, why?

I am 6'3" and have been wrestling with this decision myself for several months.

Thanks.
Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom