DOT Expiration date on early Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does that mean the 6061 Aluminum tanks don't need the visual eddy?

I downloaded Luxfer's Visual Inspection Guide and was able to determine that 2/3 of my old Walter Kidde tanks are probably OK. One looks like it has a neck crack. I was also able to decide if my old steel 72 needed tumbeling, and if it was likely pass a hydro and VIP. So far I'm 2 for 2 but I don't have a lot of confidence yet. The tank that I have that this thread was started for (same kind of tank anyway) looks OK too but it's not easy to come with uses for a 50 cu/ft tank so it's still just sitting there. Now, if I had two of them and a manifold.... But the "coolness" factor is not really there because they are MK II and not the old yellow, steel tanks with the old AquaLung logo.

I have not heard of any problems with 6061 tanks. I have two Navy 6061 tanks from 1968 just passed all test. Some early eddy current testers can't do 6061 and the test isn't required by DOT on 6061 tanks to my knowledge.

On steel 72's just be sure the tester follows PST procedure D-100.
The lining is not a dis qualifier if the hydro tester knows his stuff, no reason to totally remove it. It's like paint on a car blister and flakes if there is rust under it. You don't sand and repaint a whole car for a couple of rust spots. No blisters or flaking , no rust under the liner. If there is some blistering or flaking you tumble it just enough to remove the blister to see the degree of rust.

Does that mean the 6061 Aluminum tanks don't need the visual eddy?

That is my understanding.

Back
Top Bottom