Dos Ojos Cenote Dive report 12/31/2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Docc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Aloha and I proceeded into Playa Del Carmen on the morning of New Years Eve to Tank-Ha dive center to hook up with our cenote guide Roman Graf. Roman is a german who speaks fluent German, Spanish, and English. We joined a couple from Finland in the Tank-Ha truck for the 30 or so minute ride south to the Dos Ojos Cenote site.

We geared up in a nice picnic area and then walked down a nice stone staircase to the cenote entrance. Being a holiday there were quite a few sunbather and snorklers about as well.

PICT0343.jpg

Roman had given a nice lecture during the drive out on Cavern diving safety and protocol and cave formation and history. He is a knowledgeable guide and he and I had a good time discussing lights, reels, and sidemount vs. backmount setup. It probably bored our truck mates but I enjoyed it.

We dropped into the cavern entrance, performed buoyancy checks, buddy checks, and light checks and proceeded into the Two Eyes cavern. The stalagmite and stalactite formations were incredible . Flow was almost non-existent. Visiblity was easily 150 feet. Our max depth was 25 ffw and dive time was 50 minutes. Roman had indicated our midway point (assuming no one had reached thirds) would be the crocodile. I didn't no he meant an actual crocodile but I knew it when I saw it. We exited out a different point than where we entered but in the same general grotto.

PICT0255.jpg

P1013021.jpg

PICT0257.jpg

PICT0259.jpg

PICT0267.jpg

PICT0269.jpg

We did a short S.I. and everyone got new cylinders. Roman and I were both diving doubles and didn't need cylinders so we helped the others. For the second dive we did the Bat Cave. The Bat Cave is a large open room and another cavern entrance. We popped our heads up and had a nice chat and the finished the dive. It was interesting to see the usual Grim Reaper cave warning sign written in Spanish. Dive time was 45 minutes and max depth was 31 ffw. water temp was a consistent 77 degrees.

PICT0281.jpg

PICT0302.jpg

PICT0301.jpg

PICT0304.jpg

PICT0296.jpg

P1013024.jpg

P1013025.jpg

PICT0313.jpg

It was a fantastic day of diving and I look forward to going back with a Full Cave cert and doing some more advanced dives in Mexico.

Thanks for the report, jealous of the water temps... oh, an air temps too!

Great report Docc. Thanks for sharing. I love the Dos Ojos Downstream Traverse. Nearly a mile swim with lots of tree roots to swim through. Glad you guys had a fun trip.
Bless,
Kenny P.

Wow Docc and Aloha!! Awesome pics!! Take me next time!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom