Dos and Don'ts with Salvo 21 W Li Ion HiD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexMDiver:
Floater,

Do you have to be careful to over-discharge them like NiMH? (will it kill the battery?)

I dunno. Your best bet is to call Dwain at Salvo. I haven't heard anyone mention this as a potential issue.

Do you store them in a zip lock bag to keep out moisture from the fridge?

Thanks,
Alex

I personally do, but I don't know whether or not it really matters.

AlexMDiver:
Floater,

Do you have to be careful to over-discharge them like NiMH? (will it kill the battery?)
Do you store them in a zip lock bag to keep out moisture from the fridge?

Thanks,
Alex

Once again, here's the information for care of a Salvo Li-Ion Battery:

How should I care for my Li-Ion batteries?
Your Li-Ion battery is 14.8 volts nominal. A fully charged Li-Ion battery will show between 16.6 and 17volts fully charged.

To charge the Li-Ion battery, connect the charger to the wall outlet and then connect the other end of the charge to the battery. A solid red light indicates the battery is charging. A solid green light indicates the battery is charged.

Li-Ion batteries hold a charge for a long period of time. If you connect the battery to thecharger and the light stays green, it is because the battery is fully charged. You can discharge the battery for a few minutes to make the charger register a low enough voltage to begin the charging process.

Each Li-Ion battery pack contains IC chips to insure both over charge and over discharge protection. It is not necessary to leave the battery connected to the charger after the charging process.

There is evidence to show that leaving the Li-Ion battery at about 30% charge will extend the life of the battery. It is best to store the battery in a cool dry place. Li-Ion batteries are rated at maintaining 80% capacity after 300 cycles under normal use.

You should always charge your battery before a dive to insure a full charge
Li-Ion batteries do not develop a memory.

Most of the answers to your questions are seriously answered in the links I provided. :wink:

As far as travel, I take the light head in carry-on and the battery and canister go in the other luggage. This DID present a problem in leaving Tortola -- they x-rayed the bags and I guess the batteries looked like explosives, and we were urgently paged so that they could go through the bags with hand search. That's the only place it's been a problem so far.

Where is your trip to? Be warned that this light is NOT what you want to use at night in clear water -- even completely defocused, it lights up an area about the size of a two car garage, and any nocturnal animal that exists is long gone before you get there :)

TSandM:
As far as travel, I take the light head in carry-on and the battery and canister go in the other luggage. This DID present a problem in leaving Tortola -- they x-rayed the bags and I guess the batteries looked like explosives, and we were urgently paged so that they could go through the bags with hand search. That's the only place it's been a problem so far.

Where is your trip to? Be warned that this light is NOT what you want to use at night in clear water -- even completely defocused, it lights up an area about the size of a two car garage, and any nocturnal animal that exists is long gone before you get there :)

Thanks for the advice. I will be diving in the mediterranean in Sicily during the daytime, not at night. Water is quite clear, but at depth it gets dark and there are caves, grottos u/w.
The battery pack is what I am most worried about for the flight, it really looks like explosives...
Well, last year I saw a guy tried to take his harpoon through hand luggage security check. The first security guy said that first the thought it was some kind of umbrella...:D

SparticleBrane:
Most of the answers to your questions are seriously answered in the links I provided. :wink:

True, thanks alot for the great links. I read through most of it. I just cannot see whether a complete discharge of a Li Ion has the same detrimental effect as for a Nimh.

Thanks again for the info and links.

Alex

Li-Ion batteries are completely different than NiMH when flying. There have been instances of TSA or airline personnel throwing your battery away due to not understanding the rules. Currently, TSA regs say primary Li-Ion batteries are not allowed on flights (non-rechargeable ones), at least for non-personal use (which means they'll throw them out no matter who you are.) Secondary (or rechargeable) Li-Ion batteries are allowed ot be checked, but you run the risk of some Bubba deciding it shouldn't be on the flight and tossing it on you.

I personnlay hate diving a handheld now that I've played with a can, so I will be attempting to take my can with me on my trip. I will be wrapping my battery in the most current TSA regulations and putting it in my clothing suitcase (alone, without any other scuba gear in it) with the appropriate regulation highlighted, so that hopefully I'll not have to buy a new $100 battery before I get back, and so they don't destroy the rest of my gear when they see the little thing that looks like a stick of dyamite in the x-rays :wink:

Airspeed Press has a battery label you can print out and stick to your batteries -- It looks official, and I think it helps.

steveann:
Li-Ion batteries are completely different than NiMH when flying. There have been instances of TSA or airline personnel throwing your battery away due to not understanding the rules. Currently, TSA regs say primary Li-Ion batteries are not allowed on flights (non-rechargeable ones), at least for non-personal use (which means they'll throw them out no matter who you are.) Secondary (or rechargeable) Li-Ion batteries are allowed ot be checked, but you run the risk of some Bubba deciding it shouldn't be on the flight and tossing it on you.

I personnlay hate diving a handheld now that I've played with a can, so I will be attempting to take my can with me on my trip. I will be wrapping my battery in the most current TSA regulations and putting it in my clothing suitcase (alone, without any other scuba gear in it) with the appropriate regulation highlighted, so that hopefully I'll not have to buy a new $100 battery before I get back, and so they don't destroy the rest of my gear when they see the little thing that looks like a stick of dyamite in the x-rays :wink:

Where could I find a copy of the TSA regulations regarding Li ion batteries. I checked the TSA website, but could not find it.
Thanks for this info. I would hate to have my battery confiscated...
A.

I read that a Li Ion battery with less than 8g Li aggregate content can be transported on aircraft. How much does my Salvo light have? Anyone know this number?

Back
Top Bottom