Dos and Don'ts with Salvo 21 W Li Ion HiD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pick mine up Monday (or Tuesday)...can't wait! Twenty-one fish-cookin' watts with a remote ballast.

So I figured out the lithium content I think:

The battery pack is this one:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2665

It is made up of 12 of these:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=945

The small cells have 2.3 Ah each. So the rule for lithium content is the following:

Lithium content = 0.3 x 2.35 Ah x 12 = approx. 8g Lithium.

This amount is allowed for rechargeable batteries to take on as carry-on on flights.
If the content is greater than 8g, but less than 25 g, the battery must be in a suitable container that prevents and contains short circuits etc, so I think even larger Li Ion batteries should be ok.
The official quote I found on the web (I think it is IATA or something) is

"Consumer electronic devices containing lithium or lithium ion cells or batteries, such
as watches, calculating machines, cameras, cellular phones, lap-top computers,
camcorders, etc., when carried by passengers or crew for personal use. Spare batteries
must be individually protected to prevent short circuits and carried in carry-on baggage only.
In addition, each spare battery must not exceed the following quantities:
a) for lithium metal or lithium alloy batteries, a lithium content of less than 2 g; or
b) for lithium ion batteries, an aggregate equivalent lithium content of less than 8 g.
Lithium ion batteries with an aggregate equivalent lithium content of more than 8 g but not
more than 25 g may be carried in carry-on baggage if they are individually protected so as
to prevent short circuits and are limited to two spare batteries per person. "

I will have this statement with me and will take my HID (light head and can and battery) into my carry-on. This way I can comment if they object to something at the security check.

I also read that the allowance might be increased soon, since new consumer electronics will also pack more powerful batteries that exceed these numbers soon.

Here is the link to the IATA list:
http://www.iata.org/NR/ContentConne...dangerousgoods/file/Table2.3.AEnglish2005.pdf

Alex

radinator:
I pick mine up Monday (or Tuesday)...can't wait! Twenty-one fish-cookin' watts with a remote ballast.

Did you also get the Li Ion?

The light is fantastic. I looks stunning. I can't seem to put it down.
I also am very happy that I went with Li Ion. The aging problem can be very well eliminated if the battery is stored at 30-40% charge in the fridge. Then loss of capacity goes down to only 2% or so (as was posted in this thread above). And that was pretty much the biggest drawback for Li Ion. The air travel worried me, but that also seems no problem now.

So just a few more days, and who knows, on Google-earth you might see a bright spot somewhere in the mediterranean soon. That will be me and my Salvo HID.:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMDiver
Floater,

Do you have to be careful to over-discharge them like NiMH? (will it kill the battery?)

I dunno. Your best bet is to call Dwain at Salvo. I haven't heard anyone mention this as a potential issue.

Quote:
Do you store them in a zip lock bag to keep out moisture from the fridge?

Thanks,
Alex

I personally do, but I don't know whether or not it really matters.

The Li-Ion battery packs cannot be over charged or overly discharged. The electronics in the pack dictate short circuit protection, charging and discharging.

Dwain

Salvo:
The Li-Ion battery packs cannot be over charged or overly discharged. The electronics in the pack dictate short circuit protection, charging and discharging.

Dwain

Dwain,

The "on board" electronics will prevent an overdischarge that might result in dramatic failure of the pack. Li-Ion cells should be limited to operating between 3.0-4.2 volts per cell. For a 4 cell series pack thats 12-16.8 volts. Outside that range bad things can happen.

Maximum cycle life will be achieved by limiting the depth of discharge to no more than the application demands. Cycling a Li-Ion cell to the 3.0 volt cutoff will shorten it's life.

My recommendation would be to discharge no further than you need to, store in a cool place and recharge just prior to anticipated use.

What are your recommendations about exposure to elevated temperatures?

Tobin

More advice on traveling with a can light:

If you pack the light in your checked luggage, keep the battery separate the light head. Once I got home and found the battery hooked up to the light, obviously after being tested by inspectors. Can you imagine that thing starting a fire in the luggage hold?

I've never had any trouble with the can light as carry-on going through the airport. Inspectors have always been more interested in the canister itself rather than the battery and light head. I say "scuba gear" and they wave me through.

Alright, so I am back from the trip. The HID is GREAT. In a cavern it seemed like I had a light sabre rather than a HID. Awesome.

Travelling was fine. I packed it into my hand luggage. And yes it attracted a lot of attention by the security staff. Especially the battery pack. Out of the cannister it looks like a nice little bomb, with wires and all.
I travelled with it IN the canister, but unhooked. I had a copy of the HID picture and details off the Salvo Website and also a copy of the battery pack of another website.
With this they waved me through quite quickly, but I recommend to have this with you, it helped a lot, especially when you do not speak the language.
One guy had my pack vapour analysed, for explosives I presume.
Turning the light on did not impress much, because an explosive could still be hidden in the battery pack I suppose.

Whether it was Li Ion or NimH, no one cared (this is on a Germany to Italy flight).

But I was advised that the hand luggage method was preferred, since you are there to comment. Checked luggage security personnel might just pull the pack out to be on the safe side.

Only comment on the HID was that after each dive there was a little amount of fog or little water droplets on the inside of the test tube of the bulb. It disappeared after warming up to ambient temp, so I presumed it was condensation of the air inside the tube. I opened it, dried it fully, but had the same result on each dive. HID is still working fine.
It gets hot in that tube, so I would presume that any moisture would be bad, since the heating would build up pressure. I assumed that the water pressure would counter this, so I switched the HID on while submerged, and turned it off just before surfacing. I suppose the double O-ring seal is good enough, but it seems like it could cause problems.

AlexMDiver:
Only comment on the HID was that after each dive there was a little amount of fog or little water droplets on the inside of the test tube of the bulb. It disappeared after warming up to ambient temp, so I presumed it was condensation of the air inside the tube. I opened it, dried it fully, but had the same result on each dive. HID is still working fine.

I have the same issue with my Dive Rite, so I called them a few months ago. They confirmed that the parts were assembled in areas of high ambient humidity so some condensation of the air enlosed by the bulb can be noted.

For Li-Ion batteries, are there any specific instructions we need to follow in respect to charging the batteries initially. For example, with mobile phone batteries, it is recommended for us to charge the battery for certain hours for how many times (initially). I know about storage in fridge at around 40% charged, but just wondering if there is anything needed INITIALLY-new.

Thanks a ton!!!

I don't think so buddy. Seems like you already know the important stuff about LION. How is the light?

Brent

Back
Top Bottom