Dormant for awhile...but Opportunity Knocks! What's my challenge??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardosdad

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Learned to dive back in 1983.
Living in Western Canada, I did the mountain lake, river and west coast dives. My biggest trips were to Australia with a live onboard and 42 dives of great experience on the reef.
Since then, sporatic diving...raised 2 kids, one who took after my interest and is now getting his DM in Indonesia.
My question: chance of a lifetime to hit Bali and dive with my son, but having been dormant for awhile and getting on in years (fit 60), I'm wondering what challenges I might be facing.
I plan to get the lensed mask and time my refresher within weeks of leaving.
What does the older, past experienced diver need to be concerned with to get it back for a fun trip?
Regular swimming? Check-up with disclosure? Anything special or different to help prep one to keep up with the more recent divers?
Thanks,

Sounds like an awesome trip, you are stoked. If you need the prescription mask then get it, if not then you save a few bucks. I order some here and there, DO NOT pay a ridiculous amount for them either. You should be able to pick one up for $100 or less. I charge my students $75 for the mask and the lenses.
Good you are taking a refresher course but it may not be enough. I am not sure how long your hiatus has been but there is a chance there may be some newer gear that you would want to train on to become familiar. I generally recommend that people re do there certification or have a more thorough refresher so that you go over all the basics in detail and give yourself a chance to relearn dive tables, skills, etc.
Yes a check up is good. I am not sure what type of shape your in and diving uses a lot of muscles that you dont use for other things. Swim as much as you can, if you are a runner than run a fair bit (this will help your consumption rate while diving), you didn't specify if it was a live aboard or shore diving but you will probably want to build up your leg strength so you dont become fatigued and miss out on dives.
The biggest thing for me is review emergency drills, build up the mental comfort of being able to deal with anything (within reason), and now that you are older (sorry) it is very important that you figure out from the get go what you are going to limit yourself to. Not to be rude but in general you are at the age that you are going to be more predisposed to have a physiological issues from unneeded or unfamiliar stress. Other than all that you should be good to go. Hope you have a great time on your trip.

Congratulations for not only raising a family but raising a family of divers! I also took off many years because of family obligations, realize this is very common. Get some down time with new gear (I went from a top of the line horse collar with, gasp, one of the first power inflators to an integrated unit) equipment has changed! Nitrox is great if it's available get the certification. Try to get some down time even if it's just in a pool practicing your basic skills. Make sure your buoyancy is good, I have packed on a few pounds over the years. Know your limitations - we aren't 20 anymore. Listen to your body and don't be afraid to call a dive if you dont feel right, no dive is worth dying over, your son will respect your decision. I went many many years without diving, I rediscovered the sport in Belize 5 years ago and can't believe what a wonderful world it is down there. Go blow some bubbles and relearn what an incredible experience it is. Bill

Greetings from Indonesia Ardosdad,

You've been given great advice, get back in the water and get comfortable again. Can you take the wife for a quick Caribbean vacation, where you can get in some dives? If you have an indoor pool, swim or try runnig to get your stamina up.
...equipment has changed!
Get comfortable with your equipment again. Ask your son what equipment his dive shop uses (probably aqua lung) and try and rent the same from your local shop so you can get comfortable with it. Or if you plan on buying your own get it well in advance and use it. If you buy a dive computer, learn how to use it in advance. Most of the divemasters, shops & liveaboards here use Suunto Zoop. For beginners it's super easy to program or change air setting, very reliable, conservative and relatively cheap. To avoid leg cramps and extra finning get a good fin.

When you are here stay hydrated, it's the biggest "issue" we see. At sea the breezes are so nice many people don't even realize they are sweating and dehydration happens more rapidly, plus breathing air from a tank also dries you out. So bring some packets of electrolites, gatoraid or pick up some pocari sweat here. My favorite is coconut juice (kelapa muda), you can't rely on that out on the dive boats, but you can get fresh ones on land - drink up and enjoy!

Have a fantastic father and son trip. Indonesia has many dive sites to offer, just stay away from dives with strong currents until you are ready, and have fun with it.

Cheers!

Wow!
What a community of enthusiasm!!
Thanks for the support. Your advise is everything I really expected...and more!
Got my swim time...doc appt...mask next week...walking for stamina...jeez...this might even be Work!!
Does shovelling snow count??

Your honest suggestions will go a long way to what might be one of the few father/son dives!
Cheers to all of you eh!!

Wow!
What a community of enthusiasm!!
Thanks for the support. Your advise is everything I really expected...and more!
Got my swim time...doc appt...mask next week...walking for stamina...jeez...this might even be Work!!
Does shovelling snow count??

Your honest suggestions will go a long way to what might be one of the few father/son dives!
Cheers to all of you eh!!

It may sound like work but you know it will be worth it when you take that first dive especially with your son being there.:yeahbaby:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom