Doomed Dacor Regulator, Trade In potential?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an old Dacor 960 Regulator and I know these are difficult to service, no parts available, etc. Has anyone heard of any manufacturer offering a trade in or trade up deal for old regulators to get a discount on a new regulator?

oceanic does but i wouldn't recommend buying one of their regs even with 20 percent off

Trade-In

maybe look for a local shop near you that offers something similar without a brand restriction

you positive it is doomed? I got a 960 rebuilt back a few years ago.....

I think that Dacor has more nostalgic value than trying to sell it. I used to have several Dacors and they were all great regulators. Then when the company stopped, I sold them for SPs. If I could do it again, I would keep them. So, perhaps keep them and enjoy the nostalgic effect of them if you are attached to them. Or put them up and sell them here on SB or eBay. Then take the money and buy a new reg.

Bubblesong, Do you service your own regs?

Bubblesong, Do you service your own regs?
I, my hubby, and my college age daughter, would like to service our own regs.
I was looking at buying three Deep6 regs, with the kits, and our taking their class as a family. If i do go into servicing regs, I’d like it to be a self service friendly product.
This Dacor is a shiny beauty, but if getting parts is a problem this time, it will be a problem in the future. @Compressor has the advice, i can either sell it or keep it for Wall Art.
you positive it is doomed? I got a 960 rebuilt back a few years ago.....
Do you have contact info for this rebuilder? This Dacor really is not beat up, but only a Dacor rebuilder would be able to tell for sure.

I used Dan's Dive Shop in Ontario, Canada when I had it done (they are just a quick hop across the border from me)....

I have been to that Dan's Dive Shop in St. Catherine's Ontario, on a day they were closed! I was passing through doing college visits for my daughter, but timing was off for them. Still thanks for the referral, since we do travel to beautiful Canada frequently, and it is a possibility.

Bubblesong, yes, I ask because these are very simple regs to work on. I use several of these 960's, 460's and 260's and have been a Dacor fan of the Pacer series for years. I still have and use the first Dacor 960 reg I bought in the mid 80's. I learned to do my own service and repairs because it seemed every time I had them done they came back worse than they went in,, possibly due to the tech's not being familiar with them or just plain sloppy. Its not a good sign either when you get your tank back from a vip and the yolk face is all smooshed from the tech using a cresent wrench across the face instead of on the base of it. The HP seat does not always need to be replaced nor does the balance chamber on the other end of the seat. The diaphram can easily be replaced if needed with one made from a sheet of material from McMastercarr that you can cut out with scissors. No shop will service them most likely due to no parts kits available from their normal regular suppliers and there is probably only a few old timer tech's who are willing to work on these old Dacor's. You can still get parts but you have to search them out and buy what you need. If you would like to keep your 960 in use I can provide you with more specific information and walk you through it. If not, I would be happy to buy it from you.

@Bubblesong If you don't mind, it would be nice to see a picture of the setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom