Don't underestimate your local mudhole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last time I did the MT6 we had about 4 feet of vis. Did you do it at low tide? I recall the depth going to something like 205 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
At the boat ramp it did look like it was low tide. We didn't do any penetration and did not go too far down the boat sides. Most of our dive was hovering over its top. The other team went slightly deeper but they didn't hit 200'. My buddy and I discussed before hand that we would not try any penetrations here. It was a barge and the railcars it was carrying were salvaged, weren't they? Who'd want to go into an overhead in dark 200' waters to look at wet rocks?

At the boat ramp it did look like it was low tide. We didn't do any penetration and did not go too far down the boat sides. Most of our dive was hovering over its top. The other team went slightly deeper but they didn't hit 200'. My buddy and I discussed before hand that we would not try any penetrations here. It was a barge and the railcars it was carrying were salvaged, weren't they? Who'd want to go into an overhead in dark 200' waters to look at wet rocks?

I wouldn't consider going inside the MT6. I once accidentally went inside the Al-Ind-Esk-A-Si ... it was a bit unnerving until we found our way out.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I wouldn't consider going inside the MT6. I once accidentally went inside the Al-Ind-Esk-A-Si ... it was a bit unnerving until we found our way out.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Accidentally Bob ...... ????

I always remember spluttering with indignation when an instructor made me do a check-out dive in the eel grass off the dock in 20 feet of water at the start of a diving holiday. As it happened, we saw mating tritons, seahorses and an octopus, so I was a bit less indignant afterwards.

Accidentally Bob ...... ????

The ship's laying on its side, cargo bay doors open. In typical visibility conditions, the bay door openings are big enough to swim into without realizing you're doing it. Your first clue is when your bubbles start dislodging things above you. At that point, you turn around.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post Merged at 04:08 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:05 AM ----------

I always remember spluttering with indignation when an instructor made me do a check-out dive in the eel grass off the dock in 20 feet of water at the start of a diving holiday. As it happened, we saw mating tritons, seahorses and an octopus, so I was a bit less indignant afterwards.

The only time I spluttered over a checkout dive was when the DM insisted I perform a mask flood and clear on my knees ... so he could assure himself I was "properly weighted" ... apparently, hovering a few inches off the bottom in three feet of water wasn't enough assurance ...
shakehead.gif

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Given Boulder John's comment, with which I totally agree, I feel the need to present our local "mudhole," Aurora Reservoir. Before June 20 and after September 10, the viz can be as good as 20 feet or more, but in summer 6 feet is more common. We have a Cessna 310 sunk at 30 feet, and lots of crawdad's, which get up to 8 inches long. If one is patient, one can see striped bass, an occasional walleye, sometimes a few small trout, and, my luckiest sighting of all, a 30 pound catfish. (The state record blue catfish and channel catfish were both caught in this lake.) Although there are no starfish, we are blessed to have this site with a designated scuba area where no boats or fishermen may intrude. However, I would trade it for TSandM's mudhole in a minute. On the other hand, I will dive Aurora res. when ever I can, because it is what is here, and keeps us going between trips to where you fortunate ocean side dwellers get to live.
DivemasterDennis

I enjoy my local mudhole, and diving there doesn't disappoint. It's an old quarry about 60 feet deep max, 24 acres, and viz varies between 25 feet and 2 feet. There are 3 sunken boats, a 50 foot swim through shark, 13 training platforms, an old tire, a plane fuselage, an old Victorian coffin and a half buried tool box which I haven't seen in some time, bass, catfish, albino catfish, perch and turtles. It's a good place to practice navigation skills when viz is low. It's an hour from my house and I can dive every weekend there, and it's all good.

Let's hear it for CLEAR SPRINGS SP (deepintheheartaTexas!)!

Yup, that's one of "my" local mudholes, too! Great to hear from you once again, Cruiser. When are we gonna get underwater together again?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom