DON'T shoot in manual mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
A rather common advice to UW photo n00bs is to shoot manual. Allegedly, you'll get better results, and you'll learn more. Uh-huh? I can agree that if you shoot macro, and if you want a black background to your subjects, manual is probably the way to shoot. However, having started out myself with an all-manual, all-mechanical camera, more than 90% of my shooting these days is auto exposure. Usually aperture priority auto.

I got my first SLR sometime during the Bronze age (in the late 70s, to be more precise). It was a Nikon FM. Since I didn't start diving until many years later, it was only used topside. The FM was a beautiful little camera, but manual exposure plainly sucked, and it still does for most of my shooting. I was über-happy when I got myself an FE2, and then an F301 (the N2000 for you 'murricans). Going from full manual to aperture priority auto, and later having the option of program auto, gave me the opportunity to focus (pun not intended) on composition and shooting rather than fiddling with the controls.

Now, understanding exposure is good. Understanding the effect of shutter speed on motion blur is good. Understanding the effect of aperture on DOF is good, but if you use a compact, that issue is rather moot. With the small sensors found in compact cameras, you have loads of DOF anyway, no matter which aperture you choose. And you usually have about two apertures' range to choose from before diffraction starts to mess with your sharpness. But if you understand shutter speed and aperture, and you know where to find your exposure compensation setting (I've put it on the wheel that doesn't control my aperture), you usually don't need the hassle of manual exposure. And you don't need to shoot manual to learn that, IMNSHO.

When I shoot pictures underwater, I want to spend my available mental bandwidth (which is limited) on getting the best shot I can manage, not on fiddling with the exposure settings. With the diving experience I have, I'm task loaded enough already. When I started taking pictures underwater I shot only in P auto, to keep my task loading at a minimum. I had enough to worry about with buoyancy control, buddy awareness and learning to shoot underwater subjects. These days I shoot almost exclusively in aperture priority auto, with TTL strobe control. Had I still been using a compact, I'd probably still be shooting in P mode, since aperture is pretty irrelevant on those tiny sensors.

I control the ratio of ambient to flash by dialing in exposure compensation, usually 1-2 EV underexposure on ambient light, with +/-0 on the strobes. I don't need manual. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Not going back unless I should start doing macro. In that case I might go manual again, with a fixed ISO setting. But don't bet on it, because I like some ambience in my photos, so I probably won't shoot to get a black background. And I doubt very much that I'll ever run my strobes in manual. TTL works great on my system, giving me the appropriate dose of strobe lighting for the distance I'm at, and if my subject is zone 3 or zone 7 instead of zone 5, I'll just dial in some exposure compensation on the flash metering. Because I know the zone system, and I know enough about exposure to understand when I should tweak the camera's decision on what "correct" exposure is. Besides, shooting raw format gives me some leeway for correcting minor exposure errors when I post-process.

Manual exposure? No thanks. I live in the 21st century, and modern cameras are pretty darned good at calculating exposure. If I want to control motion blur, DOF, or both, I know what kind of auto I should use (shutter priorty, aperture priority or "manual" with auto ISO, respectively). Using automatic exposure in a fairly intelligent way makes life a lot simpler when I shoot at depths ranging from close to the surface to almost 30m, with murky water or poor daylight to add to the light intensity variation.

End of rant, fire at will :)

Interesting. Unless I shoot with available light I never shoot in manual. In fact I am in a wreck and I am using strobes manual will result in ISO to be set too high. Likewise with moving fish, if I shoot in aperture priority I am condemned to slow shutter speed if I go with negative exposure it changes ISO but not really shutter speed. Examples Using auto exposure 19249356989_4d2e2406e6_b.jpgExploring the Chrisoula by Interceptor121, on Flickr Using manual exposure 19249515729_c3361e5fe1_b.jpgBubbling Bike by Interceptor121, on Flickr Note the second shot at f/8 0.4s ISO 200. If I was shooting in some aperture priority mode it would have dialed ISO 6400. I think if you shoot with balanced light and relatively still subjects aperture priority is fine otherwise for me it would not work.

I think if you shoot with balanced light and relatively still subjects aperture priority is fine otherwise for me it would not work.

Agree.
Even on land i can't stand A/S/P... I'm trying it out from time to time, but it just doesn't work.. It will never give you the proper control of your tool/camera like in M-mode.
Buoyancy control should be so well trained at that it's sec nature. (I think), that way you only have the shooting to focus on. The buddy, well... It's an known fact that alot of uw photographers dive solo (me included), and it's no doubt that's when i get my best shots.. PS: Not encouraging solo diving tho :)

You should take a fundamentals course so task loading of basic buoyancy and propulsion skills are minimized.
No matter your skills, task loading is lower if you let the camera take care of basic dial fiddling and just override the automatics when needed.

This is a classic case of using equipment to solve a skills issue.
No, this is a classic case of using the most appropriate tool for the job rather than having a fundamentalist attitude to How Things Should Be Done. One size doesn't fit all.

I find it rather interesting that when it comes to UW photography, two of the most common memes here on SB is:

1. Photogs have crappy buddy awareness
  2. Photogs should use manual mode only

To me that's a contradiction, since manual mode requires the largest amount of mental bandwidth to use.

Now, I know quite a few hobby photogs. Some prefer manual, others prefer some kind of auto. I haven't been able to see any difference to the final product (the pictures). If you, personally, prefer manual mode, that's probably because that's what works best for you. But that doesn't necessarily mean it works best for anyone.

But I guess one of the universal laws of discussion forums is that "what I have and what I use and how I do things is the only acceptable alternative"...

A rather common advice to UW photo n00bs is to shoot manual. Allegedly, you'll get better results, and you'll learn more. Uh-huh? I can agree that if you shoot macro, and if you want a black background to your subjects, manual is probably the way to shoot. However, having started out myself with an all-manual, all-mechanical camera, more than 90% of my shooting these days is auto exposure. Usually aperture priority auto.

I got my first SLR sometime during the Bronze age (in the late 70s, to be more precise). It was a Nikon FM. Since I didn't start diving until many years later, it was only used topside. The FM was a beautiful little camera, but manual exposure plainly sucked, and it still does for most of my shooting. I was über-happy when I got myself an FE2, and then an F301 (the N2000 for you 'murricans). Going from full manual to aperture priority auto, and later having the option of program auto, gave me the opportunity to focus (pun not intended) on composition and shooting rather than fiddling with the controls.

Now, understanding exposure is good. Understanding the effect of shutter speed on motion blur is good. Understanding the effect of aperture on DOF is good, but if you use a compact, that issue is rather moot. With the small sensors found in compact cameras, you have loads of DOF anyway, no matter which aperture you choose. And you usually have about two apertures' range to choose from before diffraction starts to mess with your sharpness. But if you understand shutter speed and aperture, and you know where to find your exposure compensation setting (I've put it on the wheel that doesn't control my aperture), you usually don't need the hassle of manual exposure. And you don't need to shoot manual to learn that, IMNSHO.

When I shoot pictures underwater, I want to spend my available mental bandwidth (which is limited) on getting the best shot I can manage, not on fiddling with the exposure settings. With the diving experience I have, I'm task loaded enough already. When I started taking pictures underwater I shot only in P auto, to keep my task loading at a minimum. I had enough to worry about with buoyancy control, buddy awareness and learning to shoot underwater subjects. These days I shoot almost exclusively in aperture priority auto, with TTL strobe control. Had I still been using a compact, I'd probably still be shooting in P mode, since aperture is pretty irrelevant on those tiny sensors.

I control the ratio of ambient to flash by dialing in exposure compensation, usually 1-2 EV underexposure on ambient light, with +/-0 on the strobes. I don't need manual. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Not going back unless I should start doing macro. In that case I might go manual again, with a fixed ISO setting. But don't bet on it, because I like some ambience in my photos, so I probably won't shoot to get a black background. And I doubt very much that I'll ever run my strobes in manual. TTL works great on my system, giving me the appropriate dose of strobe lighting for the distance I'm at, and if my subject is zone 3 or zone 7 instead of zone 5, I'll just dial in some exposure compensation on the flash metering. Because I know the zone system, and I know enough about exposure to understand when I should tweak the camera's decision on what "correct" exposure is. Besides, shooting raw format gives me some leeway for correcting minor exposure errors when I post-process.

Manual exposure? No thanks. I live in the 21st century, and modern cameras are pretty darned good at calculating exposure. If I want to control motion blur, DOF, or both, I know what kind of auto I should use (shutter priorty, aperture priority or "manual" with auto ISO, respectively). Using automatic exposure in a fairly intelligent way makes life a lot simpler when I shoot at depths ranging from close to the surface to almost 30m, with murky water or poor daylight to add to the light intensity variation.

End of rant, fire at will :)
God, I miss using my FE2. It's the last film camera I used. My first was a Nikon F. Film cameras are the only photo technology I really fully understand. I have an extensive collection of slides, a couple thousand, from 60s America, Vietnam, the Counterculture, and countless UW slides. I still have my Fe2 and a variety of Nikon lenses, from Micro to W/A.

I am very comfortable with ASA, DOF, color saturation, speed and aperture issues, uses of black and white, all that sort of thing. Electronic cameras are terra incognita, really. I have a little Canon S95 and an excellent (expensive) little housing. I pretty much shoot only on auto, adjusting with flower/athelete pictographs for close ups and the like. My only artificial illumination is a flashlight. I have pretty much ceased to be a photographer. When film and camera stores vanished so did my interest.

The little Canon S95 is a wonder, but I'm afraid that, as in the song, they have taken my Kodachrome away and, despite the technical brilliance and amazing images the photography world has changed into something fundamentally bloodless for me.

I realize I'm a troglodyte, that I'm just an old man who desperately misses the world as it once was. There are so many things I'd rather do myself. Shifting gears, for instance. I must admit to having felt a gleeful schadenfreude when, at small Caribbean and Central American airports I dove away in my little manual shift 4wd while other Americans stood around practically in tears because there were no automatic shifts available.

The feckless incompetents deserved it. People who can't drive a shift car or handle a manual adjustment film camera are, in my antique opinion, pathetic children.

But I guess one of the universal laws of discussion forums is that "what I have and what I use and how I do things is the only acceptable alternative"...

You kinda shooting yourself in the leg here..
- "DON'T shoot manual"
- "Manual exposure? No thanks."

To me at least that's saying; "how i do things is the only acceptable alternative".

God, I miss using my FE2. It's the last film camera I used.
Although my FM is long dead and worn out, my FE2 is in great shape. I still run a roll of Tri-X through it once in a while. Not as often as I'd liked to, though. And I still haven't come over the fact that one of the really great "retro" film brands, Efke, was discontinued the other year.

I have an extensive collection of slides
Me, too. Plus a scanner. I hope to finish the digitization job before I retire.

I'm afraid that, as in the song, they have taken my Kodachrome away

[video=youtube;wZpaNJqF4po]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZpaNJqF4po[/video]

I'm guilty, too. I quit shooting Kodachrome before it was discontinued.

People who can't drive a shift car or handle a manual adjustment film camera are, in my antique opinion, pathetic children.
One should know how to do it. That doesn't necessarily mean you should have to do it all the time. I shoot fine in manual, but quite often, when the subject allows it, I just follow the camera's meter. So why, then, shoot manual? If you know what you do, there's really not much difference between shooting auto or shooting manual, except auto is less work.

Shooting manual:
  1. Decide on shutter speed or aperture, depending on subject type and priorities
  2. Evaluate overall image. Is it zone 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7?
  3. Adjust exposure according to meter. Optionally, dial in exposure bias according to overall zone
  4. Shoot

Shooting auto:
  1. Decide on shutter speed or aperture, depending on subject type and priorities, set auto mode (P, S, A, or "M" with auto-ISO)
  2. Evaluate overall image. Is it zone 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7?. Optionally, dial in exposure bias according to overall zone
  3. Shoot

Now, digital shooting gives you the option to chimp, check image lighting and check the histogram and/or blown shadows/highlights, and shoot again. Which means that you can iterate until you get the exposure you want. But there's really no fundamental difference if you do that in manual or in auto.

Back
Top Bottom