Don't like pencil/slate; other options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use my slate for writing # of dive, location, air start, air left, etc. So that I don't have to bring my log book with me pm the boat. It's compact and I can transfer when I get back to the room.

That's what I do Kathy. I actually used a sharpie and drew in a dive table on one side of my slate. I just write up the dive as I go along and whenever I want to put it in the book, it's there.

http://www.riteintherain.com/ makes various waterproof paper and notebooks. The DuraRite line is the better one for underwater use. You can find the Rite-in-the-rain notebooks at some outdoor shops such as the REI chain.

Head on down to Target or Toys-R-Us and you'll find the magnetic slates. Those versions have parts that will rust, but at least you can see what they look like. IMO, magnetic slates are useful for guides that frequently write notes to give names of fishes, etc., but they are bulkier than I'm willing to haul along for a normal dive.

Most of the time, all I bring is a small signal mirror with a couple sheets of Dura-Rite paper wrapped around it. If I've got more to say than can fit on 4 sides of paper, then it's time to turn the dive.

I never heard of waterproof paper, glad I asked. I can pass the note to the non-listening dive buddy!
I really like the slate as a dive log idea. Unless there is some serious problem with the 3-layer wrist slates, I'll use lower one for dive log, upper ones for on-the fly notes. thanks!
BTW... I just can't risk rolling off the dock with a "magna-doodle" hanging on a D ring;
still get ribbing for going down the slide on the dock with freediving gear on. (have to amuse the kiddies, don't I?

thanks.

We have the Rite in the Rain books also. I forgot where we got them. While the paper is waterproof, the cover is not. Go figure. :confused:

In another post, someone suggested using a "cut out" of the smaller Chlorox bottles as part of the slate. I think they somehow put the curved part around their forearm and secured it with surgical tubing and tie wraps. just an idea.

Glue a pocket onto your wetsuit and keep your wetnotes and pecil in it, along with other items. Much easier to write on and you save the notes if you document something important. I only carry a slate w/compass mount if I'm doing a mapping project.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom