Dont know if my last message sent... Equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scarlett Williams

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm having issues equalizing my ears at mmy OW pool sessions...I can't hear any "pop" sound when I pinch my nose and blow :/ is this normal? :/

Hi @Scarlett Williams , you may or may not hear a pop. You should feel a mild increase in pressure in both ears, though. You might try "pre-loading" your ears, that is, pinch and blow gently before you begin your descent in the pool. If you do it too late after you start your descent it becomes more difficult. Don't try to do it too vigorously or you can hurt yourself. You could also try the Toynbee maneuver - pinch your nose and swallow. It takes some practice to do this under water with a regulator in your mouth but it can be done. Equalize early and often, especially until you get the hang of clearing your ears. I'd also let your instructor know, if you haven't already done so. Above all keep trying, and welcome to diving!

Best regards,
DDM

It happens to a lot of people, including especially me. When I was first learning to dive, I had so much trouble equalizing that an instructor told me that diving just might not be in my future. Today I rarely have to give it a second thought when I dive. It is not that I am any more skilled at in than I was before. It is that my ears (and eustachian tubes) have gotten used to it.

People frequently say that you should equalize early and equalize often. What I learned back then was that there was no such thing as too early. Before I went diving, I would start working on equalizing days before the trip, while watching TV, while reading a book, while on the airplane on the way to the dive location, at the resort upon arrival, during breakfast the morning of the dive, on the boat on the way to the dive site, while gearing up, sitting on the edge of the boat, on the surface before dropping.....

At first it was very, very difficult. It got easier and easier. Now it is a breeze.

It happens to a lot of people, including especially me. When I was first learning to dive, I had so much trouble equalizing that an instructor told me that diving just might not be in my future. Today I rarely have to give it a second thought when I dive. It is not that I am any more skilled at in than I was before. It is that my ears (and eustachian tubes) have gotten used to it.

People frequently say that you should equalize early and equalize often. What I learned back then was that there was no such thing as too early. Before I went diving, I would start working on equalizing days before the trip, while watching TV, while reading a book, while on the airplane on the way to the dive location, at the resort upon arrival, during breakfast the morning of the dive, on the boat on the way to the dive site, while gearing up, sitting on the edge of the boat, on the surface before dropping.....

At first it was very, very difficult. It got easier and easier. Now it is a breeze.

Your story have gave me hope! No joke i was thinking of giving it up because Ive tried and tried even at home past 3 days trying to equalize.. but honestly i cant hear NO sound at all when i do (try) it :(

I did a Try Dive back in June in Greece, & i loved it! Hense why i came home and started the open water course :) On my try dive though i did experience pain in my left ear.. wasn't nothing major but like a constant dull ache, my right ear was fine though :/ i didnt know then that you should equalize at the surface and straight away (stupid i know but i honest cant remember the instructor telling us to do it early.. they did explain it but didnt say when to do it.. anyway when i descended everything was fine untill i would say 5 metres down then my left ear started hurting so i equalized then and from then on did it every 40 seconds but my left ear just didnt stop that dull ache :( i love the dive though and it really is a different world down there ti explore <3 i love the fishes just swimming past me with no care <3

im just upset thinking theres something wrong with my ears that i cant equalize :( i loved what i saw down there on my try dive it would depress me if i ever found out i could never dive again :'(

Be easy on yourself it takes some getting use to at first like John said.

I’ve never had problems equalizing in any position underwater or on land but I do notice sometimes there is no sound although I know I just equalized.

Dive on and have fun but be safe!

Hi @Scarlett Williams , you may or may not hear a pop. You should feel a mild increase in pressure in both ears, though. You might try "pre-loading" your ears, that is, pinch and blow gently before you begin your descent in the pool. If you do it too late after you start your descent it becomes more difficult. Don't try to do it too vigorously or you can hurt yourself. You could also try the Toynbee maneuver - pinch your nose and swallow. It takes some practice to do this under water with a regulator in your mouth but it can be done. Equalize early and often, especially until you get the hang of clearing your ears. I'd also let your instructor know, if you haven't already done so. Above all keep trying, and welcome to diving!

Best regards,
DDM
I don't hear anything at all .. what do you mean by you should feel pressure in ears :/ ?

How do you know you are doing it right at home ( on land)? Because im doing it but cant seem to notice anything different :/ ?

Be easy on yourself it takes some getting use to at first like John said.

I’ve never had problems equalizing in any position underwater or on land but I do notice sometimes there is no sound although I know I just equalized.

Dive on and have fun but be safe!
Thank you! :) I wont give up i aint a quitter, just makes you feel down after you try and try and nothing happens :(

I don't hear anything at all .. what do you mean by you should feel pressure in ears :/ ?

How do you know you are doing it right at home ( on land)? Because im doing it but cant seem to notice anything different :/ ?

Hi Scarlett,

Do you have problems equalizing while descending on an airplane? If not, what are you doing to clear your ears on the plane? Some people swallow, move their jaws around, Valsalva (pinch and blow)... you can try to duplicate that when diving.

The DAN article that @Barnaby'sDad linked is a great summary of equalizing techniques. I've found the Frenzel maneuver to be extremely effective myself. It was originally used by German dive bomber pilots in WWII. The "K" sound is more of a gutteral Germanic "G" sound.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom