Don’t Flame Your Mask! (per Undercurrent.org / May 2018 Issue)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where does he mention that he flamed his mask in the report?

I re-read that post and realized they don’t. I guess I drew a connection where there wasn’t one. My apologies.

I read the undercurrent article, Googled “Hollis shattered mask” and drew a connection between the 2, but shouldn’t have.

I wonder if @John Bantin could clarify if the 2 stories of a shattered Hollis mask is one and the same incident?

@MAKO Spearguns:

Dano,
You are one of the two or three approachable manufacturers on this board. Flaming the mask is a hack necessitated by the manufacturers leaving out the final step in mask production. "Here, this mask is hydrophobic, deal with it."

You, as a manufacturer, could provide an additional service with respect to your masks. First, remove the film with this: Snorkel mask fogging/steaming up...

Now you have clean glass but it still isn't right because it is still hydrophobic. A million years ago when I started out as a productive member of society (as an analytical chemist) we had to clean pipettes so that they would drain clean each and every time. This can only be done if hydroxyl groups are added to the glass. If you want to go the other way and make glass repel water (and fog) you only need to silanize it with something like (Chloromethyl)trimethylsilane 98% | Sigma-Aldrich. Now it will fog like hell, but silicone would adhere to it. Hmmmmm...

We converted the glass pipettes by treating with Chromerge. We made it ourselves. Search on it and you will find stupidly expensive suppliers. It is nothing more than a gallon of 100% sulfuric acid with an ounce or two of chromic acid stirred into it. It turns a pretty deep red and you can use it until it turns green. When done, mix with baking soda and discard.

So, polish the interior, dry well, and then pour in some Chromerge and let sit overnight. Pour back into the working stock bottle. Wash mask well in plain water and dry. Won't cost you much to try it.

The real problem is that this last step is a total nuisance for mass production so the big manufacturers throw the problem in our lap.
I don't think Chromerge is a good solution to the problem. First, silicone rubber is not very compatible with either chromic acid or concentrated sulfuric acid.

Second, hexavalent chromium is a health, environmental and disposal issue. I think hexavalent chromium was the subject of Erin Brockavich.
It's a carcinogen, among other things. You wouldn't want it your eyes. It's also not cheap to dispose of.

I re-read that post and realized they don’t. I guess I drew a connection where there wasn’t one. My apologies.

I read the undercurrent article, Googled “Hollis shattered mask” and drew a connection between the 2, but shouldn’t have.

I wonder if @John Bantin could clarify if the 2 stories of a shattered Hollis mask is one and the same incident?

It seems to me that Hollis mask just have inferior tampered glass than competitors. Cheap price = cheap quality (thinner?).

I wonder what other brand mask that had the same problem he was referring to.

I watched a guy shatter the faceplate on his mask last month. In an effort to make a quick decent he dove in (made a face first splash) and then surfaced with the face plate shattered. It was a Hollis.

It seems to me that Hollis mask just have inferior tampered glass than competitors. Cheap price = cheap quality (thinner?).

I wonder what other brand mask that had the same problem he was referring to.

If I had one of those tools that could measure the thickness of glass, I could compare it with a Scubapro. But I don’t.

I watched a guy shatter the faceplate on his mask last month. In an effort to make a quick decent he dove in (made a face first splash) and then surfaced with the face plate shattered. It was a Hollis.

Hmmm... not looking good for Hollis or is face first a no-no for masks?

Dozens and dozens of vitriolic posts (many threads over the years) about a simple problem with a simple solution. A blob of toothpaste and some elbow grease.

Now we have SBers advocating for using carcinogens, blowtorches and the usual fake news from Dano with his "chemical reactions with toothpaste - no scrubbing required" balderdash.

Fortunately, the 99.99999999% of divers who are not on SB have managed just fine with toothpaste (or Softscrub if you must) for years. What a non-issue.

Dozens and dozens of vitriolic posts (many threads over the years) about a simple problem with a simple solution. A blob of toothpaste and some elbow grease.

Now we have SBers advocating for using carcinogens, blowtorches and the usual fake news from Dano with his "chemical reactions with toothpaste - no scrubbing required" balderdash.

Fortunately, the 99.99999999% of divers who are not on SB have managed just fine with toothpaste (or Softscrub if you must) for years. What a non-issue.

Sorry but we had no success with white toothpaste. Numerous attempts and lots of elbow grease. Still no success. Although, I’ve found a spritz with a baby shampoo solution with a “just right” dunk in the water to be the best for my mask and breathing habits. The dunk in the water has to be “just right”. Too little and you get teary eyed, too much and it fogs up.

Of course that was after we flamed them.

I don't think Chromerge is a good solution to the problem. First, silicone rubber is not very compatible with either chromic acid or concentrated sulfuric acid. ...
An open flame is?

...//... Second, hexavalent chromium is a health, environmental and disposal issue. I think hexavalent chromium was the subject of Erin Brockavich.
It's a carcinogen, among other things. You wouldn't want it your eyes. It's also not cheap to dispose of.
This is bucket chemistry, not a plating bath. Trivalent (green) chromium is not carcinogenic. None will get into your eyes with a water wash before drying and shipping. Lots of industrial chemicals are extremely hazardous but they can be handled and disposed of if one follows established procedures.

If hexavalent chromium concerns you, then use Pirahana glass cleaner. Problem is, it doesn't keep.
https://www.researchgate.net/post/How_to_keep_glass_clean_after_piranha

The main problem of people fogging up their masks, I think (after experimenting myself), is the steaming of the cold glass surface with their warm breath by exhaling through their nose, even though only partially. The breath coming out of a normal human is about 37C (98.6F) with 100% humidity (i.e., steam).

That's why you feel thirsty & losing weight in the morning from all those water loss from inhaling dry air-conditioned air & exhaling steam during a night sleep.

After paying attention to not exhaling through the nose and making sure the breathing was 100% through the mouth, my mask fogging problem was completely gone. You all need to try it yourself.

The main problem of people fogging up their masks, I think (after experimenting myself), is the steaming of the cold glass surface with their warm breath by exhaling through their nose, even though only partially. The breath coming out of a normal human is about 37C (98.6F) with 100% humidity (i.e., steam).

That's why you feel thirsty & losing weight in the morning from all those water loss from inhaling dry air-conditioned air & exhaling steam during a night sleep.

After paying attention to not exhaling through the nose and making sure the breathing was 100% through the mouth, my mask fogging problem was completely gone. You all need to try it yourself.

I tend to agree with this. And the temperature of the air (hot and humid) and the temperature of the water (cool cenote for example) complicates things as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom