Donsol Whale Sharks & Subic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuggler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning a 2-week trip in May. I'm devoting a week to Dauin/Apo Island and then split another week between the whale sharks in Donsol and the wrecks in Subic. Will I have better chances if I go to Donsol during the 1st week of May versus the 3rd week of May? (Trying to take advantage of 1 paid legal holiday here in US by going mid-late may.) Are they pretty much gone that month?

Also, for Subic, I just want a day or two to dive the wrecks and hang out with the family. What are some kid-friendly things we can do there? Mostly concerned about my 12-year old nephew getting bored. What are the must dive sites in Subic anyway?

Thanks for any advice,
E

PS - Oops, I just noticed someone else recently asked about going in May to see the whale sharks, but nobody really answered their inquiry, so yeah... (defensive ba?)

Yep I'm still waiting for an answer on that one, ill be watching here closely. From what I've researched we still have a chance but not as great as march april where you are pretty much guaranteed. I think the first week in may would be best.

interesting read.. i dont normally think about the weather conditions when i go diving as im not going to lie around in the sun, but if its going to be typhoon season i might think twice about visiting the philippines in may. are these weather conditions the same across the whole of the philippines?

To answer a few questions:
The weather is different in many regions of the philippines. So the weater between subic, donsol, and dumaguete/apo reef could be drastically different from each other.
May is technically still part of our summer season, but nowadays you can never really tell. Youd be a bit better of doing this on early may rather than later.
There a quite a few things that a kid can do in subic. There is subic oceanpark with a dolphin show; zoobic with tigers in captivity; a long canopy walk and zipline; and a boyscout/survival trek through the jungle. Add to this many restaurants and a few shopping outlets (ansd a not so great beach)and you have a family friendly getaway.

Btw the only dive site that could be affected by weather is the bb new york in subic which gets pretty silted up after the rains; were talking .5 to 2 feet viz here.

rab, thank you so much for the advice, that was very helpful. I think I'm going to plan my trip for the first two weeks of May. The subic activities you mentioned sound good too, I've always wanted to do the tiger interaction thing.

Non-Diving/Family Attractions in Subic Bay:

Zoobic Safari - Tigers, local wildlife etc.
Ocean Adventures - Dolphin shows, marine life, various acts and shows.
Treetop Adventure - Canopy tour through some of the best preserved primary jungle in the world.
JEST (Jungle Environment Survival Training) - Former US military jungle survival school (trained US Navy and SEALs) that is now open to the public. Excellent jungle walks and interesting inter-active demos of survival skills.

Back
Top Bottom