Donsol recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissElaine

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, well I missed out on seeing whalesharks a few weeks ago in Sogod Bay (gutted) so I'm gonna try my luck down in Donsol while my mum is in Sorsogon.

Does anyone have any recommendations of dive shops and accomodation in Donsol?

I'll put up a short trip report of Sogod Bay and White Beach as I only did a few dives at each...got a few pix too so will include them....

Thanks!!

Hi MissElaine,

I was in Donsol a few weeks ago and can say the the whaleshark season has started.
In the bay itself snorkeling is allowed but scuba diving is not.

I saw 7 whale sharks on Dec 1 and was passing through again on dec 17 and 18 while on the way to see the Mayon volcano. I put together a blog about the Bicol region if you are interested

Bicol - Philippines

Donsol Bay is a designated sanctuary for the "butanding" or and gets heavy tourist pressure in Feb and March. The water is definately los vis!

The Ticao Manta bowl near Masbate Island gets divers for the big mantas and the occasional whale shark - clear water but rare to see the whaleshark - but the mantas do arrive from time to time. It is not unusual to get shut out and there is little else interesting in the bowl.

Your chances of seeing whalesharks in Donsol bay from now till the end of March are nearly 100 percent.

general info about lodging etc

Whalesharks

cheers

dp

Amor Farms Beach Resort is on the beach near the whale shark visitors center

Amor Farm Beach Resort - Philippines

Vitton Beach Beach Resort is right next to the visitor's center

Vitton Beach Resort - Philippines

It's probably about an hours boat ride over to Ticao Island (depending on the boat)

Snorkeling in the Donsol Bay is done about a half k off the beach in donsol, from pumpboats that zig zag around the bay until the spotters see a whale shark and then everyone jumps in - here is a low quality youtube clip that gives the general idea of what to expect

Whalesharks
YouTube - Whale Sharks of Donsol Sorsogon Philippines

cheers

dp - ps there is an error in the above post about Ticao being near Masbate , it's just on the way to Masbate from Pilar

Hi Ms. Elaine,

I live here in Donsol and I manage a dive shop inside Amor Beach Resort and has a satellite office across the Donsol Tourism Office. Look for us FUN DIVE ASIA Dive Center. We are very much proud to tell you that we are highly recommended by Department of Tourism and the new Lonely Planet Guide book. Anyway you are my Kababayan, you're mum is from Sorsogon. You can call me (+63) 921 929 3811 or 0906 801 6852.

As of today, sightings for whale shark is really good.

If you want to dive aside from snorkeling with the Whale Shark, you can book your dive to us. FUN DIVE ASIA also now have diveshop in Ticao Island Resort, you may want to stay a night there and dive from the resort, just 10-20 minutes boat ride to Manta bowl. From Donsol to Manta bowl is 1 hour 45minutes boat ride and Donsol to San Miguel Island is just an hour.

The dive shop is full equip with all the dive gears and equipments.

cheers,

Rodel

Back
Top Bottom