Donating to an OOA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timgan something I dunno if you thought of in this senario. As the air doner I personally would first take care of number 1. So before handing off my primary to an OOA diver I'd be making sure my octi/secondary was breathing properly at that point in time. probably tellin gramma how to suck eggs here.

Timgan something I dunno if you thought of in this senario. As the air doner I personally would first take care of number 1. So before handing off my primary to an OOA diver I'd be making sure my octi/secondary was breathing properly at that point in time. probably tellin gramma how to suck eggs here.

Oh that (backup) is on my neck....it's in my mouth way before OOA diver even gets my primary. And i breath it bout every ten minites or so during the dive. I have as much confidence in my backup as my primary.

I don't put my backup in my mouth before the OOA diver gets my primary, my priority is to get the primary to the OOA diver, and will pass it with my right hand (holding the hose), while putting my backup in my mouth with my left. However, I won't let go of my primary until I am breathing from my backup.

As with anything in diving, I think it is important to practice this once in a while, just in case.

I personally have my backup in my mouth by the time my primary is extended. With a long hose you're ducking your head anyways.
Without the long hose and bungee backup it becomes more of a process though. So I can see it would make much more sense to concentrate on donating first in this config.
I do have to start purging before inserting a reg into my mouth though. I think that's a good preventative measure to avoid sucking a dry/clogged reg.

I agree, didn't mean to imply that I donate and wait to grab my backup. My backup is going in my mouth, as you said, when I am ducking my head.

PADI will teach you to push the reg's purge button as you hand the reg to the OOA diver. Once again, I disagree strongly with PADI's teachings.

I hold the hose so that the OOA diver has unfettered accesss to the regulator as it comes their way.

PADI will teach you to push the reg's purge button as you hand the reg to the OOA diver. Once again, I disagree strongly with PADI's teachings.
I am a PADI instructor. I have not only never taught that concept, I have never heard another instructor of any agency even suggest it, and I have never seen it written in any agency materials.

Please tell me where I can find it in the PADI instructional materials. I must have missed it.

I am a PADI instructor. I have not only never taught that concept, I have never heard another instructor of any agency even suggest it, and I have never seen it written in any agency materials.

Please tell me where I can find it in the PADI instructional materials. I must have missed it.
John, do you teach divers to purge their own reg before putting it in their mouth? GUE does teach divers to depress the purge button before putting it in their mouth for muscle memory and to clear debris from the reg. Kelp diving we do get hitch hikers.

I agree with you though, hand the reg off to the OOA diver without making extra bubbles or wasting even a second. Back up goes in a second or two after hand off.

Where does this come from?

Bill

I believe the PADI curriculum has the OOA diver purge the donated regulator both with a breath, and with the button, and in both cases, it is not the donor that does the purging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom