Don’t believe everything you see on TV - read in the paper.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a journalist I have to say, sadly, that must of what I have read here sounds all too accurate. Far too many reporters are young, inexperienced, or simply not of a mind-set to really dig out facts.

I have long been critical of modern-day journalism for exactly the point made in the original post, namely that once you have been the subject of bad journalism all reporting becomes tainted. The tragedy here is, in a free society, the media is critically important. Unfortunately as more and more people begin to question the ethics and accuracy of journalists, the approval of all journalism drops. With that comes the inevitable loss of critical oversight of government that is the press's true responsiblity.

Media outlets are partly to blame as well because of the tendency to reduce staff, rely more on wire reports and often hire people for the wrong reasons. I can tell you as a former televison reporter, on-air staff was hired for their looks not their talent or reporting skills.

There is also the dangerous blurring of actual news with infotainment and out right entertainment. It's all coming our of the same box or magazine or paper, so for many people it's hard to parse.

But that also points out that the viewers and readers bear some responsibility as well. How many people watch the local news because they "just love that anchor." And as consumers of information, I would say most people are really not very discriminating. We know this because we have ratings that reveal viewing and reading habits. These ratings are extremely consistent. They show people are much more interested in soft news, feature reports or outright gossip than hard news. TV and newspaper executives know this so we get more and more Lindsay, Brittney and Paris stories and fewer and fewer stories about the failure of the sub-prime market.

There is also the ominous trend toward using more and more government sources for stories. That is extremely dangerous and pretty much the opposite of how it should be done. All too often a reporter believes the government or official source is somehow unbiased; which of course they are not. Too much spin, too little digging into whether there really are WMDs.

I have said it many times but when you see something inaccurate in a story call the media outlet and let them know. They probably want to know about the mistake. You won't get any cheers from them, but it shows someone is paying attention. You can affect the quality and accuracy of additional reports.

Media inaccuracy is perhaps one of the most serious problems we have today and practically no one realizes it.

Jeff

None of the various media can be trusted. There is no legal requirement that they be truthful, and most are not. Some never are, even when reporting weather forecasts in areas with advertisers who have tourism concerns.

All media demonstrate the prejudices of those who own them. Still, taken as a whole and in general, they are much more accurate and ethical than government. Our own government, here in the US, regards deliberate falsification as its right, and it pretty much always has. The only major change in the last few years is an absolute lack of any concern or shame about blatant lying to the public, not for any legitimate reasons of state, but simply to protect itself from criticism and to manipulate public opinion in ways that advance partisan agendas. Ironically, the government has become quite open about its dishonesty. People expect it, and our government seldom disappoints them.

And Skull is absolutely correct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom