Don Mueang(DMK)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Centrals

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
It has been a while since I last used this airport. Don Muang was the old spelling and the code was BKK. But changed to Don Mueang(DMK) when Suvarnabhumi opened in 2006.
Our local budget airline, HK Express, has introduced this new option to Bangkok recently. So I decided to pay Bangkok a flying visit.
Traffic is very very light at this airport(09:30) and all the formality was pretty brisk unlike BKK or HKT(Phuket) where clearing immigration alone can easily take over an hr.
Public transport is easy and frequent. There is even a airport bus A4 to Khao San Road. I took the A1(B30.00) to Mo Chit Bus terminal. Unless you are going to catch the bus otherwise there is no reason for any new arrival to go to the bus terminal. Just before the bus arrived at Mo Chit BTS, the conductor asked me and others where we were going. Mo Chit Bus Termjnal is quite a distance away from the BTS station. Bus #145(B7.00) will bring you from the bus terminal to the BTS station.
Train(Red line) is another alternative. The fare is B42.00 from Don Mueang to Bang Sue Grand Station(the proper name is Krung Thep Aphiwat Central Terminal). MRT will connect to various places in the Capital.
As for the old ancient Hua Lamphong Train Terminal. Half of the station has turned into museum and very few trains are using it. The big notice board indicates less than 30 arrival and departure per day. The hay day of the terminal is history.

DMK over BKK if I have the choice. Siutation might change when more airlines are using the terminal.

Thing may change at short notice so look it up.
My information could be wrong.

Took just over an hr from Hua Lamphong to Don Mueang by MRT(B45.00) and the Red line(B20.00).
In the old day the slow train from the station to the airport was B3.00(1988).
It is a bit of walk from the station to the departure hall. There is one place serving inexpensive Thai meal by the car park entry/exit.
The MRT operates from 06:00 so anyone with early departure have to find alternative way to get to the airport from the city. I believe there is inexpensive accommodation close to the airport.

This airport is very good to catch regional flights.
There are 14 rows of counter and row 14 is the nearest one to the train station.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom