Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJae

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know the best dive sites in the Dominican?
:drown:

Down south out of La Romana are the high points in the DR's lackluster to outright poor diving. Make sure you get out to Catalina Island.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

By the sounds of it you don't like the diving there, Is there any reason or is it just boring? I've never been so I don't know what to expect. Thanks for the tip on Catalina Island.

Don't mean to spoil your excitement.

The real problem is off the north & east coasts, where the reefs have been badly damaged by trash, pollution, runoff, heavy diver pressure & overfishing.

Down south is much nicer, and decent Caribbean diving, which means no thrills & but worth getting wet for. Dive ops largely serve mixed groups with newbies, and this means strict limits on diver freedom & frequent inability to do the more challenging, and to my mind more interesting sites.

The DR is a substantial sized island & you haven't said where you'll be located. If it's north, you can't make southern dive sites on a day trip. If you're west, some dive shops will arrange a day trip south--you'll be bussed down in the early AM.

Do take your golf clubs.

DocVikingo

Don't worry, you haven't spoiled it for me I am just curious as to what I am getting into. We will be staying in Punta Cana for a wedding and I beleive it wouldn't be a problem to travel south for a day or two. I did notice they had a couple of wrecks on the south side, is that near Catalina Island? Are they worthwhile?
Thank you once again for all the info, it has been a great help.

Yes, they are worth it. The recently sunk St.Georges, about 290' long & at about 110', is rather nice. Not yet covered with coral & whathaveyou, but can be big schools of fish.

Enjoy.

DocVikingo

The diving near Punta Cana was a big let down. Hell...All of Punta Cana was a big let down. We had folks that were bragging that they only had to spend $100 to go home early. If you like to lay around the pool or beach for days on end or dive and snorkel on the same gray dead reef time after time......this is the place for you.
You must go to catilina island. The Wall was Excellent and we went to a place called the Aquarium. That is where the dolphins came to check us out. The day that we took the trip to Iberostar hotel in LaRomana was the highlight of the trip. There was also some excitement when a waiter stole a dive shop boat, loaded it with 18 people at $500 a clip and headed for the US. (Puerto Rico)
Yes...there were some good things about the trip, but after visiting the Costa Rico and Mexico....we felt a little disappointed.
If you need any heads up about excursions available in the area just give a shout

Thanks for the input on Punta Cana, We have a wedding there other wise I probably wouln't have picked that area. If you have any leads on what to do there it would be much appreciated. I think I will plan most of our diving on the south side of the island, I would like to check out the wrecks, and you said the wall is good.

If you have any pics I would like to see them or any other suggestions.

I have been to mexico a few times and liked it very much, very colorful and lots of fish etc. in the bahama's, where we were, it was very grey and dull. I prefer more visually appealing scenery.

I am getting excited to go because I have never been there before and I like to see everywhere at least once, its good to know ahead of time what areas we might not enjoy.

Thank you very much for your input.

:tree:

If you are staying in Punta Cana then you are looking at an Hour and a half bus ride to La Romana or BAYAHIBE. Some dive shops in Punta cana will sell you the trip including transportation. The roads and transportation are not too great there. In a sense...Punta Cana is sort of secluded away from everything and the main way to do any activities is to book it through your hotel or tour operator. I will list what most of the hotels offer and you can message me if you want detailed info on any of it.
Jungle tour rides in the back of a truck... motorcycle tours in the jungle.(one operator has quads and one has 95cc dirt bikes) horseback riding in the jungle... twilight horseback riding on the beach. (This is a MUST) Ask if you can pay a few extra dollars for a private quide if you are experienced and you won't have to ride with a group of hackers. Snorkeling RAFT Excursions " big floating dock with a motor. Snorkel and booze it up at the same time. I think everyone on this board would agree that we would not go on that one. There is also another outfit that takes it's snokelers and divers to a shark pen were they have 10 sharks and a couple of rays caged up.
There is one wreck right off the beach in punta cana...the Amstron. I really liked it. It was a very relaxing dive and the max depth was only 46 feet so there should not have been any air consumption issues in the group. (but a so called rescue diver was out of air while this fat air hog had 1500psi) There is an ezotic zoo like animal park package that all the hotels try to sell $25.00 park or $79.00 to swim with dolphins. Everyone that we talked to felt they were ripped off and our Apple Vacation rep refused to send any more people there.
As far as the diving right off Punta Cana... It seems that all the hotel based dive shops in that area dive the same sites and use the same type equipment and boat types. Gear up at the dive shop and walk down the beach until you are standing in the surf line. (That is wear the waves are breaking) Now take your whole rig and toss it over the side of an 18 to 20 foot V bottom skiff with a 75 horse outboard. The captain stands your rig in the center of the boat and everyone that has not yet been bashed by the boat, other divers, or loose gear in the waves can now jump in and start licking their wounds. The boat ride will take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes depending on the dive site and your hotel. When seated you face each other and have little room for your feet. After the captain sets his anchor (and destroys another 25 years worth of coral growth) you turn sort of sit sideways and put on your fins and kind of sit with one foot on top of the other while a mate lifts your kit from the center of the boat and help you don. TIME TO GET WET!!!! BTW...your heart jumps up into your throat everytime you see your equiptment being slung over the side and tossed onto the tank holders at mid beam. (that is if you are not renting and have a computer attached) At the end of the dive you hand your weight belt and bc to the mate and start to drag yourself over the side because some boats have ladders and some don't. The whole way back to the hotel I asked myself why I enjoyed diving and kept thinking that I never wanted to dive with these people again. As soon as the boat gets back to the beach and we play in the surf line again to re don the equipment for the hike back up to the dive shop you start thinking....hmmm I think I will book two dives tomorrow. Most of the reef near Punta Cana is colorless and dead and the cost of the dives are a little more expensive than Mexico. There are no night dives or snorkeling off Punta Cana because the boats were getting stolen while divers were in the water. It is fun watching the guys beach the boats at night like you see in the movies or with the air boats in florida. They drive them 75 to 100 feet up onto the beach and then remove the props. One more thing... Ask about the location and depth before booking your dive. We got short changed one two dives that were max 14 and 19 feet.
ok..ok.. way too long and often mispelled. If there is anything left out just ask.

Dectek - OH MY - can you please tell me which dive shop you used? I can't believe how bad that sounds!! We are going in February and staying at the Barcelo Bavaro Beach resort and were planning on using Red Coral Divers (dive shop at the hotel) however we will need to pick another operation if that is who you used!! Thanks in advance for the information!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom