Dominican Republic - Punta Cana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

countryboy:
My wife and I will be traveling to Punta Cana in February. I would like to hear recommendations good and bad for dive ops / sites in the area.

Any other local information would be appreciated as well.

Thank-You in advance!

BTW - Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

Diving would have to get better to suck in DR. Dove Catalina island the first time down there. Flat releif, not impressive. Back on DR I got left by the dive boat. Came up after an hour dive, no boat. Shore was about 1.5 -2 miles away. Still had about 1500 psi in my tank, so went back down and started to swim for shore. After about 10 min heard a boat comming, went up and it was them comming back to pick me up. They told me that one of the other divers got seasick and they took her back to shore. Needless to say no more diving with them.
2nd time did one dive and the "reef" was so dead that I only did one dive.
Best to stay on the beach and watch the toppless woman.:wink:

countryboy:
PFF, Thanks for the info. I sent them an e-mail.. let's see what happens.

Each place I requested info from, one of the questions I asked was..
What are the customary gratuities for DM’s / support staff?

Not one of them answered this question... Anyone have any input on gratuities?

Thanks to all.
Gratuities in general for the US, Mexico and the Caribbean tend to start at $5 per tank for day boats for good service. If your DM gives you extra help/lends you equipment or extra good service, more would be appropriate. Less if they don't treat you well....

Country Boy... thanks for the post!!!

wife and I will be in Punta Cana in Feb as well... found the airfare for it not 15 min ago, and thought I'd come here and see if there was any decent diving. We are fair newbies, having only been on a couple of dive vacations.

I do appreciate all the info that has been given so far.. will be reading more and looking for more interesting stuff..

th

DepthCharge:
Dove Catalina island the first time down there. Flat releif, not impressive.

That's wierd... The whole purpose in going to Catilina Island is the Wall Dive. My log shows me at 104fsw

Dectek:
That's wierd... The whole purpose in going to Catilina Island is the Wall Dive. My log shows me at 104fsw

I was a newbie when I dove the Catalina Wall (just certified the week before), but I dove it at 45 feet and it went a great deal deeper than our group was...I remember watching other divers' bubbles coming up from well below us. So like you, I'm not sure what dive DepthCharge did, but as I recall, the Wall off Catalina Island was a beautiful dive.... :confused1

For experenced divers, the diving in D.R. at Bayahibe(sp) may be boring. Went last year and my son and I skipped the 2nd day of diving. With that said any diving is fun if you want to make it fun. We stayed in Punta Cana and I would agree that you should enjoy the beach and the sights on the beach and for sure do not dive Punta Cana.
We knew going in the diving would not be great and we really did the trip as a rest and relax at the resort. It was not worth hauling the gear and making the trip to Bayahibe. Also the boat rides were long, no cover on the boat, shore interval was good. Would not go to D.R. ever again to dive.

Would go for inexpensive trip to sun, sand and fun though.

I'm curious if anyone has been diving off the north coast on the Atlantic side... Sosua or Rio San Juan. I'm planning a trip to the DR at the end of Janaury and the north sounds like it has more character, but I'm slightly worried about wind and vis. It's this or Bayahibe. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any great diving to you in 2006!

I just got back from Punta Cana and I wanted to share how my dives went.

I stayed at Sunscape the Beach which is north of most of the resorts and rather isolated. My uncle and I dove with Scuba Caribe, since they had a shop right on our resort's property. They have seven or eight shops in Punta Cana, each located at different resorts.

They don't have nitrox, or offer night diving. Our site offered dives at 9:30, 1:00 and 3:00. Two days a week, the morning dive was a two tank dive. Every fill I got was in the 2500 - 2600 psi range. They did have an excursion to Catalina Island and Bayahibe.

The DM's are rather laid back and nice guys, but don't have full command of English. Their dive boats are pretty small, and reminded me of a glorified rowboat, with an outboard motor. We had to gear up at their shop, carry our gear down to the water's edge, load it in the boat. The gear was stored underneath our feet, so the boat ride the dive sites was a little cramped.

My uncle and I did seven dives each. The Scuba Caribe dives sites we did from our hotel were the Aquarium, the Tunnel, the Coral Garden (twice), and Julia. Although the Scuba Caribe website has a dive schedule, they didn't really follow it at all. We also took the excursion to Catalina Island, which was a wall dive and a shallow dive.

A lot of the reef near Punta Cana is grey and lifeless, so I think it was dead. There are pockets of life from here to there, but they was a lot of swimming on each dive. The Tunnel and the Coral Garden had short underpasses you could swim through, but there was always a DM under there first.

These were my first ocean dives, so I saw ten times as much life their as I had in any of my quarry, mine or lakes dives that I had done previously, so I thought it was pretty cool. We mostly saw reef fish, but we did see a couple unusual things, like a stone fish, a couple trumpetfish, an octopus and a green morey eel. A couple dives had a good deal of surge, which caused me to get seasick on the first dive.

The Punta Cana dives were mostly above 60 feet and lasted about 45 minutes. I did bring a camera that a co-worker had lent me on the Julia dive, which turned out to be the best for life. The pictures are being developed, but I think I got some good shots of the morey eel, which was swimming free. My uncle and I saw it right as we were about to start our safety stop and we were the last two left in the water, so we were the only ones to see it.

The Catalina Island dives were much cooler. The logistics of getting there were a nightmare though. It is also a snorkeling trip, so there was about twenty people leaving from our hotel to go on the trip. It turned out to be a two hour busride from our hotel, mostly because the roads have so many potholes that our bus was swerving from one side of the road to the other to avoid them, regardless of the oncoming traffic.

We stopped about halfway at a bus depot of sorts to get a briefing from a Scuba Caribe employee. We were told that the snorkelers were going to be on a different boat for snorkeling but we would meet up for lunch on the island and all take the same boat back home (the dive boat, not the snorkel boat). One lady, who was traveling alone, I guess didn't hear that part, so she was left behind on the beach. Once we got back to the bus depot, halfway home, we were told we had to wait for her to catch up to us in a taxi. After an hour of waiting, our busdriver gets back on and says "Ready to go?" and we start driving. He gets a call 15 minutes into that trip and gets told to turn around, since she still hadn't gotten on. Once we get back, there were no Scuba Caribe employees around to let us know what was going on, but someone on the bus found the lady and we got to navigate the potholes covered roads at night. We left at 7:45 a.m. and got back at 7:30 p.m. It was not fun.

The boat for the Catalina dive was packed. The tanks were lined up on the outside of the boat and you had to gear up leaning over the side, since they didn't let you walk on the outside.

The wall dive there was cool. It was a max depth of 82 feet. There was a lot more life there then around Punta Cana. We spend the second half of the dive around 40 feet, and there was just as much going on there. The four divers from our hotel were grouped together with one DM, and everyone (except me) was pretty experienced, so we were able to stretch our dives out, because we didn't run into problems with air at all.

We did the second, shallow dive after a rather short surface interval. They served chicken noodle soup in a plastic cup during the SI, but it did not look appetizing to me, so my uncle got two servings. I think I liked the second dive better. It was in a flat shallow area, but it was a hour dive, and we saw a lot of cool things. We saw some sand flounders or something during our safety stop that were pretty unique. I wish I would have brought my camera for that dive, but I didn't want to take it on the excursion.

The lunch on the island was good food, and after they were done diving, they did a good job of keeping my cup filled with cerveza.

I'd do the Catalina Island trip again, but I'd try to find alternate transportation for the ride there. If they had a major four lane highway there, they trip would have been 30 - 45 minutes, but instead was a good two hours.

Sunscape the Beach had good food, and the Dominicans were all nice people, although some didn't understand quite enough English. Our resort was mostly Americans, but there was a good showing of other nationalities. I had never been to an all-inclusive resort before, so my basis was comparision was a Royal Caribbean cruise I had taken five or six years ago. If we go back, we are planning on staying at the Sunscape hotel in La Romana, so we can be closer to the better diving.

Thanks for the report...

My wife and I plan on renting a car and driving to the Bayahibe area. Seems like the diving is better over there.. She may even switch our hotel.

Thanks again.

countryboy:
Thanks for the report...

My wife and I plan on renting a car and driving to the Bayahibe area. Seems like the diving is better over there.. She may even switch our hotel.

Thanks again.

Hey Countryboy,

I was in La Romana in late July, and am going to Punta Cana next month (company trip, go figure). La Romana is definitley the spot for diving. My finace and I booked our trip there because it was absolutley the best deal on an all-inclusive you could ever imagine. Even though I heard the diving sucked, I booked anyway. Being that anything around here is lo viz and cold water, anything with 50+ viz and 82 deg water is a good thing. There is a dive shop at each hotel, but the one at the Canoa Coral Hilton was expensive, and had no nitrox. We dove with Casa Daniel (www.casa-daniel.de). Their shop is in the little village of Bayahibe, next door to Scubafun, and they come and pick you up from the hotel, the trip is only 10 min or so including stops to pick up other divers. The diving is like everybody said, semi-dead reef, little life, but I did manage to see 4 large rays cruising. Definitley do the St. Georges, but watch your depth (and MOD, if on Nitrox), it's easy to hit 135ft if you follow the hull of the ship on the starboard side. On our dive, 3 people went into a deco obligation on their computers after about 20 min. You can keep the dive relativley shallow at about 75ft. Not covered in life, but it's a wreck no less. Oh, and if your experience is anything like mine, don't expect the DM's to have any more experience diving than you do.

PM me if you need more info, but I say definitley go with La Romana.

Szymon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom