Dominican Republic Punta Cana Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kabal22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Going to Punta Cana (Bavarro Beach) in August and looking to do some diving while there.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Also, going to be staying at the NH Real Arena if anyone has any input on that resort.

thanks

Last edited:
The diving conditions around La Romana are usually better then in Punta Cana / Bavaro area. Most of the divers who've been both locations say that the diving on the east coast is not as good as on the south. Some of the dive shops organize diving trip to Catalina Island, bring you here to Bayahibe by a bus where you board the boat. Personally I haven't been diving in Punta Cana, so I cannot tell you where are the best spots. There are many dive ops, some better some worse, I usually recommend Promarine at Catalonia Hotel, I've seen the operation, my friends used to work there, the owner cares about the clients.

Thanks for the insight. I did some searching already and found that Punta Cana is not the best location in DR to dive. The Mrs. already booked the resort so I am stuck with that location and just figured I would make the best of it.

I know the resort has their own dive op but I couldn't find much on them, and it looks like there are several in the area. Unlike other areas I haven't been able to find any good info on any of them. I guess the lack of information out there should tell me the diving is going to be mediocre at best.

I'm in the same situation. We're staying at the Iberostar in Punta Cana. The hotel has a dive shop (Drexxel (?)), I'm looking for other dive shop options, but without much success.

Dressel Divers is a big and good dive operation all over the world, here is their link for Dominican Republic
Dive in Dominican Republic with Dressel Divers
Divers are happy with their service, some people are saying that they are too expensive.

anyone have any recommendations off the north side of the island around Puerto Plata? Heading there next week. Nothing like the last minute for advice.

I lived in the area for 2 years and was diving in Sosua, about 15 - 20 min drive from Puerto Plata. I still have a website about diving there so you can look at the dive sites on the north coast and info about them.
Good dive shops are Northern Coast diving run by Mark a guy from USA or Merlin diving run by German owner Jurgen. If you dive with any of them, say hi to them from me :)

Hi guys,

I'm going to the Grand Palladium Bavaro in Punta Cana in 2 weeks and I saw that they're offering scuba diving excursion. Any info on the operator (or actually any suggestions at all)?

I don't know who the op is at the resort, I know that Dressell (in Iberostar), Neptuno, Promarine and few others work from Punta Cana Bavaro area. Dressell is well know dive op all over the world, and cannot say much about other ops from there except Promarine. They are located in Catalonia hotel (that might be too far from your resort), ran by a German owner and it's run very well.
I think the excursion will be to Catalina Island, meaning bus drive from Punta Cana to Bayahibe (where I live) and from there on the boat to Catalina.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom