Dominican Republic in december, dive shop recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I’ve researched, there is not any decent diving around Punta Cana.

While I’m sure chances are low that anyone would have trouble, I have zero interest in spending any time at any of the really large metropolitan or tourist areas in any of the Caribbean countries. Too many reports of trouble from drugs, thugs, corruption and what have you.
Thanks that's good to know. So you felt safe around Bayahibe?

Great, thanks for the info. Deciding between Punta Cana and Bayahibe. Both areas have dive packages at an all inclusive for a great price.
The diving in the Punta Cana area is bad. We just returned last month from our 3rd time to Bayahibe, it is on the south Caribbean sea side of the Dominican and has the best divng on the island. There is reef diving, wall diving, wreck diving and even a cave dive if you are so certified. The Bayahibe/Dominicus area is very safe. The first 2 times we stayed at Dreams La Romana (now Hilton La Romana) and my wife would walk into the village of Bayahibe a couple of times by herself (about a 10 minute walk). I always dive with Scuba Fun, Laura is very quick & helpful with emails, John the owner is at the shop every morning, most of his staff are long term employee's, so they know the dive sites very well, they will store & rinse your gear, and will pick you up and take you back to your resort. They dive packages for divers staying at resorts in the Punta Cana area. ScubaFun | Dive Center Bayahibe
I highly recommend using a small local dive shop over one of the big chain dive shops on site at the resort. They have a very high employee turn over.

We just returned last month from our 3rd time to Bayahibe,
When I see a repeatedly visited destination, that’s a sign it’s special, considering the multiple mainstream Caribbean region dive destinations available. What brought you back?

Back
Top Bottom