Dominican Republic in december, dive shop recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaerius

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning for a 30 day vacation in the dominican republic from late november to late december, any recommendations on dive shops?
I'm more interested in north coast than south, as it's the beginning of whale season, and I'd at least like a shot at seeing one.
Big plus if they have rental rebreathers available(otherwise I've got full open circuit gear). I'm certified on Poseidon VI/Se7en, but open to learning another.

i have only been to puerto plata and sosua. there used to be quite a few small shops in those areas. diving was mediocure. Northern Coast Diving in sosua was probably the biggest there. Dressel may be the other well known shop in the puerto plata area. i doubt any of them would have rental rebreathers. but i believe a well known instr used to offer tech training through Dressel in winter. if i remember who it was i will pass it along.

My one experience there was north shore - tried to dive out of Luperon but conditions were really nasty. Ended up going out of Sosua Bay. Really shallow with not a lot to see - when the "highlight" was feeding super-aggressive sergeant majors with bananas that the dive master brought with him I knew then that it was going to be just an entry in my log book.

Ended up changing plans and going to Mexico (Playa del Carmen / Cozumel).

Curious George, I would love to hear your experiences. Considering taking my boys diving to one of the Viva Wyndham resorts, dive shop is Reef Oasis I believe.

Hey @Dr.fish, welcome to scubaboard.

Sure, happy to share. I was there in July of 2019. We flew into Punta Cana and took a 45 minute $100 round trip private van directly to the hotel. We stayed at the Iberostar Bayahibe which was a nice all inclusive with guards at the gate and everything you expect. Great for my wife while I was out diving. Felt very safe and enjoyed their nice beach. Food was above average for all inclusive. Ate in town a few times, it was nice but small. I think this was around the time of the scare about some tourists getting poisoned. We didn’t drink out of any unattended liquor bottles and were just fine. I did 3 days of boat dives with Scubafun and would recommend them as a good safe operator. Their prices included 10 minute taxi rides from my hotel and small group of divers. I dove 32% even though not needed and they were fastidious about having me check my tanks and log the results. I found them friendly and easy to work with and great prices. Looking at my logs, all the dives were max in the 45’ - 65’ range and relatively square dive profile with 83 degree temps except the wreck. I really enjoyed the St. George - great name too. If my memory is right, it was 80’ to the bridge and 135’ to the sand and lots of easy penetration above 110’. Very laid back diving overall with good visibility, no current and lots of healthy coral and fish life. I’ve heard the saying - no fish bigger than a dinner plate and that was about right. Saw some neat frog fish and squid in addition to all the other normal Caribbean fish. I usually shy away from "house ops"because some have that large group plan which I don’t care for.

Let me know if any specific question.

Hey @Dr.fish, welcome to scubaboard.

Sure, happy to share. I was there in July of 2019. We flew into Punta Cana and took a 45 minute $100 round trip private van directly to the hotel. We stayed at the Iberostar Bayahibe which was a nice all inclusive with guards at the gate and everything you expect. Great for my wife while I was out diving. Felt very safe and enjoyed their nice beach. Food was above average for all inclusive. Ate in town a few times, it was nice but small. I think this was around the time of the scare about some tourists getting poisoned. We didn’t drink out of any unattended liquor bottles and were just fine. I did 3 days of boat dives with Scubafun and would recommend them as a good safe operator. Their prices included 10 minute taxi rides from my hotel and small group of divers. I dove 32% even though not needed and they were fastidious about having me check my tanks and log the results. I found them friendly and easy to work with and great prices. Looking at my logs, all the dives were max in the 45’ - 65’ range and relatively square dive profile with 83 degree temps except the wreck. I really enjoyed the St. George - great name too. If my memory is right, it was 80’ to the bridge and 135’ to the sand and lots of easy penetration above 110’. Very laid back diving overall with good visibility, no current and lots of healthy coral and fish life. I’ve heard the saying - no fish bigger than a dinner plate and that was about right. Saw some neat frog fish and squid in addition to all the other normal Caribbean fish. I usually shy away from "house ops"because some have that large group plan which I don’t care for.

Let me know if any specific question.
Great, thanks for the info. Deciding between Punta Cana and Bayahibe. Both areas have dive packages at an all inclusive for a great price.

@Dr.fish I can second diving in Bayahibe. I went there pre-covid and had a blast.....This on the leeward side of the island, so better diving conditions.
I used Coral Point Diving. Great outfit..like others in the area, they will pick you up and drop you off to your hotel if you are in the area. Quaint shop...on the beach, you load up in a panga to make it to your dive. Bonus for a bar next door for some cold 'coca-colas' afterwards.

Deciding between Punta Cana and Bayahibe.
From what I’ve researched, there is not any decent diving around Punta Cana.

While I’m sure chances are low that anyone would have trouble, I have zero interest in spending any time at any of the really large metropolitan or tourist areas in any of the Caribbean countries. Too many reports of trouble from drugs, thugs, corruption and what have you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom