dominica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevethepirate

Registered
Reaction score
im headed for dominica wednesday morning for the first time.
im 17 and a fairly inexperienced diver. i was wondering if anyone could suggest any good dive locations or shops. as an inexperienced diver i think that a good instructor/guide is pretty much needed. any of you have any good or bad experiences you feel like telling me about?
:arr:

stevethepirate:
im headed for dominica wednesday morning for the first time.
im 17 and a fairly inexperienced diver. i was wondering if anyone could suggest any good dive locations or shops. as an inexperienced diver i think that a good instructor/guide is pretty much needed. any of you have any good or bad experiences you feel like telling me about?
:arr:

hI

In case no gets around to replying to your question before you leave, here are a few pointers. I haven't dived in Dominica myself, but if it is anything like some of the other islands in the region (I'm from Grenada), then here are a few things to look out for...

- Talk to the shop, instructors/DM, get a feel for how they deal with you (be aware of course they'll be biased to sell you dives!)
- Physically look at the shop, it's layout and how they store their gear (that says a lot!)
- Find out about the dives they do, how deep, the current, tell them you've only got 17 dives under your belt and want to take it easy - if they push you, think twice.
- Chat casually to some of their guests or students and have a look at a couple of shops and compare.
- What dive boat do they have? Custom built with rear platform, or converted fishing pirogue (which are generally more uncomfortable)
- Find out if their BCDs have whistles and delayed SMBs in them, that's usually a good sign of a responsible shop (though not a guarantee)
- Find out about their safety proceedures - do they have O2 on boards, a working radio, is there a chamber on the island (a lot of them don't, but have safety plan to fly to the nearest one, most likely Barbados).

Mostly I think the dives should be fairly comfortable with clear viz and unless they have strong currents, it should be a nice place to be. Dominica is meant to be a very nice island nature wise, so I'd recommend getting some time in to go sightseeing and/or hiking (though try not to go up hills doing heavy walking after a dive!!!).

I imagine you might have seen this already, but it's worth checking out:
http://www.dominica.dm/wateradventure/diveoperators.htm

Sorry if I can't be of more help, I am just thinking of some things to look out for, they're not necessarily specific to Dominica, but I think covers the bases if you're short of direct recommendations.

Do a search for "Dominica" on the board and you'll probably find some advice there - I just thought of this, might have saved me typing this up :D

Do let me know when you return how your trip was, I'm always keen to hear of other dive locations near me!

enjoy... hope you have a good time!
GO DIVER :D

nic

hey, thanks so much! thats the sort of stuff that i dont really know about due to lack of experience.
im hoping that the viz isnt bad due to recent events (hurricane).
pictures of the island look great, ill make sure to take a bunch and post about it when i get back!

stevethepirate:
hey, thanks so much! thats the sort of stuff that i dont really know about due to lack of experience.
im hoping that the viz isnt bad due to recent events (hurricane).
pictures of the island look great, ill make sure to take a bunch and post about it when i get back!

Hi

You'll find that the viz clears pretty quickly, even a couple days after a hurricane, if it rains a lot then you may some issues. In general, from what I am told, viz in the Windard Islands isn't comparable to the Pacific, but it's a whole lot better than your average lake or cold water dive!

Even the average dive shop will probably know how to gauge the viz depending on currents and recent weather and choose sites accordingly.

nic

StevethePirate:
I've been to Dominica and you're going to love it there...it's a very undeveloped island, but really. I was there for 10 days in Porthsmouth and dove with Cabrits Dive Centre and also dove with Anchorage Dive Centre in Roseau. The diving is really good....not compared to Bonaire in which i think has really awesome diving but you should go and dive at Scott's Head. There is also alot of hiking that you can do such as Trafalgar Falls, The Boiling Lake an 8 hr. hike. where are you going to be staying at???

you need to do your diving in Scotts Head with Nature Dive
They are right on top of the best diving in Dominica
The cater to all levels of experience.

The diving is pretty easy on this end of the island because most of the time
they stay close in (5 minute boat rides)

See my dive report and slideshow off my web page
see signature below

Back
Top Bottom