Dominica-Belated Brief Trip Report-w Pix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice pics, what is your setup?

@Chidiver1, thanks much. I shoot a Sony RX100 mark 1 (the very first RX100) in a very small but excellent Recsea housing that allows full manual shooting with an Inon UWL 100 Type 2 attached for wide angle (for macro I use the Inon UCL-165M67); 2 YS-D2 strobes (the originals, not the yellow Js, but I've never had a single issue in 100+ dives, knock on wood) on a Recsea tray; four 6-inch Stix arms with jumbo floats; a Kraken 5000 lumen video light at the first arm connection connected with a triple clamp; and a GoPro 6 Black on the housing cold shoe.

I have stayed with the Sony RX100 for several reasons: first, it is really small, as are the housing and tray, and so I am able to travel with all of the above and a full set of dive equipment and clothes in a Tumi rollaboard carry-on for a five day warm water trip. I hate checking so this is a huge deal for me. Second, it obviously takes awesome photos, with huge amounts of data capture in RAW--most files are around 21MBs. I prefer stills to video so the lack of high-end video quality is not a problem for me. Moreover, I like to be able to shoot stills with the strobes while video-ing so I use the GoPro for video; I don't think you can do that any other way and have the strobes fire. Third, the lenses work with it very well and without issue and are small and easy to travel with. I bought the two Inon lenses after much research and experimentation and because neither vignettes with my set up, which is a huge problem with many lenses on compact set ups. Backscatter has a whole article devoted to this and are awesome to work with. With the Inon wide angle, I don't have to zoom in at all to get great shots, and the little macro close up lens is easy to work with.

I had the LX10 with the Nauticam housing with built in shutter trigger and all that, but the Inon wide angle lens vignetted badly unless you zoomed to like 32mm and for that reason and the size and other reasons, went back to RX100 smaller set up.

Happy to answer any questions.

@Chidiver1, thanks much. I shoot a Sony RX100 mark 1 (the very first RX100) in a very small but excellent Recsea housing that allows full manual shooting with an Inon UWL 100 Type 2 attached for wide angle (for macro I use the Inon UCL-165M67); 2 YS-D2 strobes (the originals, not the yellow Js, but I've never had a single issue in 100+ dives, knock on wood) on a Recsea tray; four 6-inch Stix arms with jumbo floats; a Kraken 5000 lumen video light at the first arm connection connected with a triple clamp; and a GoPro 6 Black on the housing cold shoe.

I have stayed with the Sony RX100 for several reasons: first, it is really small, as are the housing and tray, and so I am able to travel with all of the above and a full set of dive equipment and clothes in a Tumi rollaboard carry-on for a five day warm water trip. I hate checking so this is a huge deal for me. Second, it obviously takes awesome photos, with huge amounts of data capture in RAW--most files are around 21MBs. I prefer stills to video so the lack of high-end video quality is not a problem for me. Moreover, I like to be able to shoot stills with the strobes while video-ing so I use the GoPro for video; I don't think you can do that any other way and have the strobes fire. Third, the lenses work with it very well and without issue and are small and easy to travel with. I bought the two Inon lenses after much research and experimentation and because neither vignettes with my set up, which is a huge problem with many lenses on compact set ups. Backscatter has a whole article devoted to this and are awesome to work with. With the Inon wide angle, I don't have to zoom in at all to get great shots, and the little macro close up lens is easy to work with.

I had the LX10 with the Nauticam housing with built in shutter trigger and all that, but the Inon wide angle lens vignetted badly unless you zoomed to like 32mm and for that reason and the size and other reasons, went back to RX100 smaller set up.

Happy to answer any questions.

Quite the setup. I have a sealife with a tray and their flash.....yours sounds more intricate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom