Dominica-Belated Brief Trip Report-w Pix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beautiful photos; love that head-on black frogfish. How long did it take you to get to & from Dominica? I've had the impression travel time could be a couple days each way for some, and that's an issue for those aiming for the mainstream 7-day vacation many Americans do.

Did you do any touring/hiking the rainforest? From what I've heard that's part of the island's draw; lush topside rainforest.

Richard.

@drrich2 I went to Dominica in November and it took a while. I flew out of Boston at 7am, flew from Logan to JFK, then JFK to San Juan (Puerto Rico), had to overnight in San Juan, and then flew from SJU to Dominica. Arrived in the afternoon.

On the way back, it was DOM to SJU, SJU to JFK, overnight in NYC, JFK to Logan. Left Saturday morning, arrived Sunday afternoon.

Most of the flights were Delta. The ones to and from Dominica were run by Seaborne. Both Seaborne flights left two hours late, which was a pain.

That's what I was afraid of; that 'overnight' thing. A lot of people do 7 or 8 day trips, because that's what they can get off from work and reasonably afford, or maybe about how long a diver can be away from family remaining at home. If it takes 2 days to get there and 2 to get back, you lose 2 days of diving relative to other, 1 day there, 1 day back destinations.

I think if it were typically one day each way, we'd see more trip reports from Dominica.

@drrich2 I went to Dominica in November and it took a while. I flew out of Boston at 7am, flew from Logan to JFK, then JFK to San Juan (Puerto Rico), had to overnight in San Juan, and then flew from SJU to Dominica. Arrived in the afternoon.

On the way back, it was DOM to SJU, SJU to JFK, overnight in NYC, JFK to Logan. Left Saturday morning, arrived Sunday afternoon.

Most of the flights were Delta. The ones to and from Dominica were run by Seaborne. Both Seaborne flights left two hours late, which was a pain.

Was the diving worth the travel hassle factor?

Lovely colors in your photos. Do you have any others of on shore shots?

@chillyinCanada, thanks re the photos. I will tell you it took me a solid year and probably 4 dive trips to dial in the strobes and camera settings; so many moving parts/inter-related considerations underwater. And great question re the travel. I think @FettSolo was responding to someone else and my travel was easier: I did DCA-MIA-SJU-DOM; SJU-DOM was LIAT on outbound; on return, went DOM-SJU on Inter Caribbean. I think I would say yes, it's worth it. I have a few other on shore shots, but mostly of Fort Young. The unfortunate reality is that Dominica was not a wealthy island before Maria and Maria hurt them badly; really unfair.

Best to get there through St Martin using WinAir.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom