Domestic Flights - Derawan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi guys, will be visiting Derawan soon. Have always been alittle concerned with the domestic flights situation in Indonesia. With the recent Mandala Air crashing in Medan, am getting slightly worried about my flights between Balikpappan and Berau. Any input on the DAS, which I will be taking from Balikpappan to Berau, and Kalstar Airlines which I will be taking from Berau to Balikpappan on the return trip, would be greatly appreciated. Also my silkair flight home is only an hour away from the time I land in Balikpappan. Are these domestic flights known to be punctual??

red-lipped batfish:
Hi guys, will be visiting Derawan soon. Have always been alittle concerned with the domestic flights situation in Indonesia. With the recent Mandala Air crashing in Medan, am getting slightly worried about my flights between Balikpappan and Berau. Any input on the DAS, which I will be taking from Balikpappan to Berau, and Kalstar Airlines which I will be taking from Berau to Balikpappan on the return trip, would be greatly appreciated. Also my silkair flight home is only an hour away from the time I land in Balikpappan. Are these domestic flights known to be punctual??

Hi - I flew the same route in 2004 and did not have any issues. Have a great trip !

I flew DAS Balikpapn to Berau a month ago (going to Sangalaki), it was OK but didn't give me huge confidence. See the first couple of photos here for pictures of the DAS plane: http://www.albumsnaps.com/index.php?content=folder&id=10304

The pilot was good enough to turn off the no smoking sign when he lit his cigar.
Regarding punctuality, our return flight was on time our outbound flight was delayed 10 mins as it was good enough to wait for us (delayed getting visas).

Neither airport is busy, so there is little chance of air-traffic delay. An hour should be fine between planes, the check in was very quick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom