Dolphins- the same status as humans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lock_washer

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw this article today in the news. I am nuts about cetaceans (whales, dolphins, porpoises) myself. I think whaling is unnecessary, and the dolphin slaughter in Japan is tragic...but I think they have gone off the deep end on this article.

Dolphins are almost as clever as humans - so treat them like people, say scientists | Mail Online

But if you want to grant dolphins rights...does this mean you can hold them accountable for some of their actions?

This example:
Moko playing up, dolphin experts warn | Stuff.co.nz

Can you hold this dolphin accountable if he injures someone...given the nature of this litigious society we are in?

Or in this case:

Monterey Bay researchers say dolphins are causing porpoise deaths - Santa Cruz Sentinel

Are dolphins guilty of a crime for killing porpoises? or when they commit infanticide to get female dolphins in heat again to breed?

I like to hear some input on this.

Lock Washer

It must be said that the Daily Mail is not what one would regard as a serious newspaper. If it doesn't involve fuming about house prices, illegal immigrants or pedophiles, usually the Mail is not interested. However, for important issues of the day (like the status of Dolphins) they usually put aside these other hot chestnut issues.

Actually, the article also appeared in a couple of other news websites too. I just grabbed link to post in this thread.

Lock Washer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom