Dolphins and Whales around Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sortsol

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just moved to Oahu and am wondering if there is a better time of the year to dive and actually see whales? If so, does anyone know who charters to that location? Same goes for dolphins... Any help apreciated.

hmmm...actually jumping in the water with either is fairly rare: they never show up when they are scheduled :/ . But from January-April you can generally hear whales at the dive sites on the south and west side. Dolphins have to be a lot closer for you to hear them.

Peace,
Greg

There are lots of different whales in Hawaiian waters. Humpback whales in the winter and pilot whales, pygmy killer whales, beaked whales, false killers, etc year-round. There are rare times when humpbacks have cruised right by divers. That's certainly a wonderful treat. But you can't jump in with humpbacks if you see them. They have a high level of protection. Other types of whales and dolphins are sometimes receptive to gentle interaction. There are guidelines, regulations and laws in regards to interaction with these marine mammals. Reputable companies will be up to speed and help you enjoy viewing these animals from the boat or, if appropriate, in the water.

um do alot of diving this winter thru spring, saying some prayers cant hurt, but the most important thing to remember is???? keep a camrea ready!!! if you dont get shots or footage....it never happened, also scubadrew works with a company that does dolphins thing of some sort
might want to contact him on the dolphin thing
ScubaDrew VideoWorks

There's a pod of spinner dolphins that regularly patrols the waters on the leeward side - I usually see them from Makaha to Kahe Point (Electric Beach). Easy to see topside - there's also a snorkel boat that departs from Waianae - and I frequently hear them squeaking and chattering under water. Only once have I been in the water while they passed overhead, which was a lovely sight to behold.

Whale season is from November-May. I believe Maui is a favored destination for them, but I've seen them sounding (at a great distance) here on Oahu from my regular dive boat. One or two buddies have seen a humpback while diving (on the leeward side of Oahu) - true, the boat has to give the whale 100-feet of clearance, as do divers, but the whale itself didn't seem to care about that convention, according to my buddy! I dream of seeing one for myself, but until then, the sound of whale song is certainly a lovely accompaniment to any dive. I've heard them sing while diving off the southern and leeward sides of the island, and it's a beautiful thing. Good luck!

Last edited:
Well, just saw my first humpback whale of the season! I was on a dolphin site see trip with my family and the captain spotted it first. Only saw the tail come up and slap the water before it went deep, but that means they are coming. Hope to see more in the future.

last year my mentor kirsten was diving some people at kewalo pipe and got some awesome footage of a family of whales. 60 feet of water about 1/4 mile off shore.

I imagine it is a question of knowing where to go. Here, on the Big Island, there are places where I know that I can encounter Spinners just about every day and where I can encounter Humpbacks maybe half the days that I go out in mid-winter. I suppose it's the same way off Oahu, though I would not know from experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom