Dolphin or Ray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wazza

Reaction score
Dear friends

Maybe my question is a bit silly, but I would like to know if u are a scr diver and in specific Drager what do u Rather dive the Dolphin or the Ray as the Ray is able to go to 40m now, and why . what are the real advantages between both.
Please guys even if u are a ccr diver I would like to know most of your opinion .
Thanks for yr time

wazza:
[...] I would like to know [...] what do u Rather dive the Dolphin or the Ray [...]

There's one of each in our house. The Dolphin is ostensibly mine, and the Ray is
ostensibly my wife's. In practice we just grab whichever one and dive it.

In both my and my wife's opinion the Ray breathes better in all attitudes in the water.
It's downsides are shorter scrubber duration (we limit it to 180 minutes in warm water)
and relative buoyancy (which Drager engineer came up with the brilliant idea to fill the
jacket with closed-cell foam??).

The Dolphin seems to be a more capable unit in some ways, and we both like the
idea of a seperate bail out. But it is more uncomfortable to dive, e.g. laying on your
back and looking up. My wife is a photographer, and frequently finds herself needing
to be in unusual positions in the water, and prefers the Ray for that
reason.

The Dolphin is also easier to clean than the Ray (removable counterlungs).

The Dolphin's single dosage device is nice; the various orifices are different units
for the Ray.

The Dolphin seems to be a more capable unit in some ways, and we both like the idea of a seperate bail out.
The seperate bailout is needed on the Dolphin though, because the very high interstage pressure doesn't allow a normal 2nd stage to be plugged in to the 1st. And the bailout tanks are usually quite small and approach the limits when diving around 40m.

In both my and my wife's opinion the Ray breathes better in all attitudes in the water. But it is more uncomfortable to dive, e.g. laying on your back and looking up.
That of course is due to the position of the counterlungs over the shoulder on the Ray. The Dolphin, like any RB with backmounted CLs, has a sweet spot where it breathes well. In any other position the WOB will be higher, even uncomfortable. You'll also produce more CO2 during labored breathing.

Another downside of the Ray's fixed CLs and one size doesn't quite fit all harness is that it simply doesn't fit every diver.

The Dolphin's single dosage device is nice; the various orifices are different units for the Ray.
That means two things: The Dolphin is more versatile, if you know which depth you'll be diving there's a good chance that you'll get a better match from the orifice/mix.

And the Ray's complete replacement dosing and bypass unit cost considerably more than the Dolphin's 32% orifice (the 40, 50 and 60%s are standard), thus making up some of thr price advantage.

Finally, there are considerably more aftermarket bits and pieces for the Dolphin than the Ray. If you want to balance the unit and add larger tanks to the side, you can add a ss subframe backplate, for example. Mods like this will mean cutting up the Ray.
If you need less scrubber duration you can use Dräger's spacer to reduce the amount of Sorb you carry and thus the duration.

Between the two, I like the Dolhin considerably better. Then again, the Ray barely fits on me in the store, so I didn't bother trying it with a drysuit.

Thanks guys for the answer and yr explanation, what I would like to say is that I have a dolphin and to tell u the truth I would like to buy a Ray to check it out and dive it .where I come from no body has it to go and rent it, and I really like to try every kind of equipment and I don’t mind to have both rebreathers I can use both and I don’t really care about dive time cos I don’t like to exceed the dive time more then 45min per dive , do u think it worth it to have one and if i want to buy a used one how much should it be?
Thanks for all yr time
I hope I can hear some one else opinion as well concerning this subject
Thanks again
one more thing why doesnt the reg of the ray wont work with the dolphin so we wont have to take an extra tank with us.

You're welcome Wassim.
wazza:
one more thing why doesnt the reg of the ray wont work with the dolphin so we wont have to take an extra tank with us.
The Dolphin needs the gas to be supersonic through the orifice. That's adchieved by the size and shape of the orifice as well as the pressure it goes through. The Dolphin's intermediate pressure clocks in around 240psi/16.6bar.
Normal is about 140psi/9.5bar, even the higher interstaged Poseidon's only generate about 180psi/12.5bar.

H-valve or V-valve with one each outlet for Dräger and DIN solves the problem. I'd still take the additional tank, though.

How about the Azimuth?

wazza:
[...] I would like to buy a Ray to check it out and dive it [...]

I keep hearing rumors that the Ray has been discontinued by Drager and/or AquaLung.
The most credible of these came from an AquaLung rep at DEMA last year. Prices on the
Ray seem to be dropping at those dive shops that have them, at least here in the US. They
are also periodically available on eBay.

gkndivebum:
I keep hearing rumors that the Ray has been discontinued by Drager and/or AquaLung.

I will call drager and ask if this is true, I am not saying that what u are saying is wrong
(not at all) but only to make sure and I will answer u back. So if this true I wont buy one of course but if not do u think its worth it if I got one or the dolphin is all I need.

And I heard ( as I did not see it in my eyes, that there is away to take of the lungs from the ray , is this true?)

of course guys thanks again and as usual every one here are very helpful and caring.

wazza:
And I heard ( as I did not see it in my eyes, that there is away to take of the lungs from the ray , is this true?)
Wazza, the link will take you to a German website that sells Dräger parts.
http://www.danshop.com/ddparts.html
The complete jacket with inner bags and all connectors goes for 870 Euro !
And then you'll have to cut away the jacket and add mounting hardware.
It might be less expensive and certainly more convenient to just find a place that'll make you a couple of bags.

I have a few questions too. Where can I find the specs on both the Ray and dolphine. Like size built for,BC lift, amount of weight can be carried. Also I've heard the Ray is more for tropical waters. Why is this and is it true. I'm from Oregon and don't know If I'm ready to spend $5000 on a dolphine or not. But the Ray is not as expensive. Thought it might be a good starter to see If rebreather diving is pratical for me or not.

Dear cave

Thanks for the website, I know this one I buy most of my spear parts and stuff form there its cool .thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom