Dolphin and Whales save fisherman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a pretty cool story. It must have been somewhat unnerving when darkness began to fall upon him. God has some interesting ways of answering prayers. Thanks for the post.

If you want to make a lot of money selling "your story" or raising awareness for your cause, fabricating a wonderful feel-good tale of rescue is a good way to do it.

I always take "fish stories" with a grain of salt, but it's possible to become too cynical.

I doubt that folks are paid too highly for these kinds of stories in the Phillipines, and promoting a cause might be a motivation, but assuming his boat actually did sink, do you believe he scuttled it for this story?

Granted, this version is much more dramatic than if he simply passed out and drifted in with an onshore wind.

Where's your Christmas spirit? Let's let this one slide by in the spirit of the season. (but keep the salt handy just in case)

Of course, we never hear about the wild dolphins who drag shipwrecked sailors or drowning swimmers farther out to sea.

Amazing what a mind can come up with when facing the truth is unbearable. I guess the mermaids that were riding the whales and the sea monkeys on the dolphins were left out of the print story,

I am a skeptic as well, primarily because I learned from 5 years of living in the Philippines that this type of sensationalism runs hand in hand with the holiday season. Being a devout people on many levels, this type of story helps to reaffirm many already held beliefs. I do not fault my Pinoy friends for their beliefs. Many of them have little else to hold onto in this world.

It is too bad, however, that the Philippine Inquirer continues in its dishrag ways in printing this story with no corroboration whatsoever.
How is it that
representatives of nongovernmental organizations
with him in the hospital were there in the capacity of authentication? What could they authenticate other than that he was alive? That sounds like a whitewash right there. I say this reluctantly because I agree that saving dolphins and whales and promoting them for ecotourism is a good thing on the whole.
Soon, a swarm of tiny crustaceans locally called ÅÃugto began nibbling on his softened flesh.
ŵhere were so many of them and I couldnÃÕ cope because I was very weak, he said, showing the bite marks on his limbs.
Ū started to bleed. I became afraid that sharks would smell my blood and appear at any time.

Isn't it a bit odd that these crustaceans apparently swam to him in the open ocean and started chomping on him? I admit that I am not a marine biologist. Nonetheless, my layman's understanding is that crustaceans stay pretty much to the sea floor and on land? I mean the fish that hunt them (i.e. trigger fish) tend to do things that get them up off the sandy bottom where they can easily be hunted.

Being tiny, a crustacean, and at the surface in open water is not a good thing. Perhaps someone else knows what these things are? Sounds to me like he may have conjured up this tall tale after lying on the beach where these little critters got hold of him. Happy to be alive, he embellished other creatures of the vertebrate variety for future job security.
DabalÃÔ hopes of reaching dry land slowly vanished as darkness fell and blanketed him.

And then, from out of nowhere, a pod of around 30 dolphins appeared: Å¥umating ÁÚung mga dolphins. Ang dami nila! [Dolphins came. There were so many of them!] He said the whales kept to his side, swimming along with the dolphins.
The details involved here are remarkable to say the least, especially for a guy "blanketed in darkness"?

This story has no credibility at all, though the organizations promoting dolphin and whale safety most probably do.

At least his heart is in the right place, even if this narrative does not make mustard.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom