Dolphin and Whales save fisherman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dadvocate,

You've obviously never scene the crab torture scene from the the Kirk Douglas/Tony Curtis masterpiece "The Vikings".

Personally, I feel if dolphins are willing to have sex with us, they should be willing to rescue us.

Odds are I have seen it but have totally forgotten. You've peaked my interest. I'll check it out.

Now for my own edification, which film should I refer to for dolphin-human sex?

Cheers!

Of course, there are also stories like Steve Callahan's famous survival tale in Adrift where a whale rammed his boat and nearly killed him, wrecking the boat and putting him at sea in a lifeboat for two months.

Must have been grumpier whales than the Filipino met.

He credits the lowly Mahi-mahi for ultimately saving him (although they also almost killed him).

But he still eats Mahi-mahi.

>*< Fritz

Of course, there are also stories like Steve Callahan's famous survival tale in Adrift where a whale rammed his boat and nearly killed him, wrecking the boat and putting him at sea in a lifeboat for two months.

I think I recall this story. Is this the same instance when he inadvertently stabbed his raft with a fork or something else sharp and then had to very quickly twist it to keep his life raft from going under? If this is the same story, he then had to constantly rest his body against that point until the fishing vessel found him.

Must have been grumpier whales than the Filipino met.

Who knows, maybe this whole thing is an ongoing sophomoric prank run by clever and mischievous whales and dolphins. First they get a whale to do the grunt work in sinking a boat. They then let the poor landlubber sweat it out for awhile. Finally they stage a remarkable ballet in saving the victim to try and make it in local papers. They do all this for %^&$#s and giggles.

For obvious reasons, Callahan&#8217;s case was a crude early run in this mammalian theater, with the whale doing his job in sinking the boat and the others screwing up somewhere down the line. By the time we get to our hapless Filipino fisherman 26 years later, they have gotten their shtick together and can now perform a well choreographed routine.

The only thing I don&#8217;t get is how they ever find out that their scheme has worked and made it into print. Oh, I bet this is where the mermaids come in. They are bilingual, you know. They speak fish-ese and Human-ish. How do I know? I saw it in a movie called Splash.

Cheers!

I'm struggling to find some congruity with this story. Being a dive forum, most readers are very familiar with marine-life behavior. None of this story holds any water with what we all understand about the ocean.

Sorry, pal. My vote is "bogus".

Stop pretending it is the leeches you want to talk about. You are thinking of the pretty girls. Admit it.

Cheers!
Well D'OH! The film woulda been totally uninteresting if it was a bunch of ugly men that got captured :eyebrow:

On the other hand, Ive heard of dolphins attacking people pretty badly as well as rescuing them..

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Yes, and it is possible that maybe one of those UFO abduction tales is &#8220;true&#8221; or that one of those Loch Ness visualizations is &#8220;true&#8221;. What do you mean by true? That someone has dreamt up a fantastic tale as human beings are wont to do or that this is a true and factual account?
Until some reliability is provided, the would-have, could-have ruminations are pretty well pointless. Even the &#8220;journalist&#8221; in this dandy tale hasn&#8217;t got anything but hearsay at best, that and his own penchant for belief. That and a tall tale gives you a tall tale.

Cheers!

Of course, we never hear about the wild dolphins who drag shipwrecked sailors or drowning swimmers farther out to sea.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I do recall a movie in which a Pilot Whale grabs a diver and pulls it down along with it. Must be on Youtube somewhere...

Where is Flipper when you need him!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom