Dolphin 95 Steel Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabob123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an opportunity to buy a used 95CF steel tank (in good shape but needs a VIP). The manufacturer is Dolphin. Has anyone ever heard of them. I can't find any information on this manufacturer. I believe the manufactured date is 93'. It concerns me that this tanks an unknown brand.

Bob

Does anybody have any info on this tank? :icon5:

scubabob123:
I have an opportunity to buy a used 95CF steel tank (in good shape but needs a VIP). The manufacturer is Dolphin. Has anyone ever heard of them. I can't find any information on this manufacturer. I believe the manufactured date is 93'. It concerns me that this tanks an unknown brand.

Bob

IIRC Dolphins were made by Heiser. I have one of their 125's. A bit heavier than Fabers, more on the line of Pressed Steel tanks. I routinely pumped it up to 4,000 psi without a concern.

scubabob123:

Bob

Cylinders marketed and sold as Dolphin in the early to mid 90's were manufactured by Coyne. Any properly trained PSI Visual Cylinder Inspector can do a proper inspection/certification for you.

Hope this helps.

Chris
COVCI

I owned one of these for two years in CA - great cold water tank. Went from something like -10lb to -3lb in salt water. Biggest problem (with ANY plus-rated tank really) was convincing stores to do the full 2640psi "plus" fill, instead of a 2400psi hot fill, and it would cool down to 2300 or so. So a 2400 fill in this tank is only 86cf - 2300 took it to 82-83cf. Would buy another if they were available here in Oz.

DepthCharge:
IIRC Dolphins were made by Heiser. I have one of their 125's. A bit heavier than Fabers, more on the line of Pressed Steel tanks. I routinely pumped it up to 4,000 psi without a concern.

Chris,

I already have a 95CF (LP+ steel) Faber and like it alot. At a quick glance the Dolphin looks just like my Faber. Thanks for the input.

Bob

scubabob123:
Chris,

I already have a 95CF (LP+ steel) Faber and like it alot. At a quick glance the Dolphin looks just like my Faber. Thanks for the input.

Bob

Oops! Sorry DepthCharge.

COVCI:
Cylinders marketed and sold as Dolphin in the early to mid 90's were manufactured by Coyne. Any properly trained PSI Visual Cylinder Inspector can do a proper inspection/certification for you.

Hope this helps.

Chris
COVCI

Chris,

Thanks for the info. I just found out it's needs a hydro too ($25). Hopefully this won't be a problem since the seller, who is local, will guarantee it.

Bob

Scubaroo:
I owned one of these for two years in CA - great cold water tank. Went from something like -10lb to -3lb in salt water. Biggest problem (with ANY plus-rated tank really) was convincing stores to do the full 2640psi "plus" fill, instead of a 2400psi hot fill, and it would cool down to 2300 or so. So a 2400 fill in this tank is only 86cf - 2300 took it to 82-83cf. Would buy another if they were available here in Oz.

Scubaroo,

Yeah I've already had the "plus" fill problem happen to me with my Faber LP95CF tank. Brand new tank manfactured this year! It's all about the liabilities. :wink:

Bob

Liabilities? Crap. Tanks are pressurised to something like 5/3 their working pressure to hydro them - and they don't blow up if they fail, they stretch. That's a 66% overfill. Not filling the 10% overfill is just ignorance on the part of the person doing the fill.

scubabob123:

Bob

Dolphin also sold cylinders made by COYNE and my guess is yours

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom