Dollar Exchange Rate and Peso Prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the Dollar/Peso exchange rate currently just shy of 18:1. I loaded up on enough Pesos the last day of our Dec 2015 trip to carry us through our Dec 2016 trip. It's my own little "Mexican vaca currency play" and it's also nice to have all those Pesos ready to go. The 1:18 exchange rate is driven by the crazy high Dollar as not much has changed in Mexico. Did I make a good Peso purchase? Time will tell come December 2016 but holding these Pesos will make the next trip 'seem" to cost a bit less.

With the Dollar/Peso exchange rate currently just shy of 18:1. I loaded up on enough Pesos the last day of our Dec 2015 trip to carry us through our Dec 2016 trip. It's my own little "Mexican vaca currency play" and it's also nice to have all those Pesos ready to go. The 1:18 exchange rate is driven by the crazy high Dollar as not much has changed in Mexico. Did I make a good Peso purchase? Time will tell come December 2016 but holding these Pesos will make the next trip 'seem" to cost a bit less.

The kinda smart money watcher in my Coz HOA, say rates stay high through the summer at least. I bought a pile too.

It's really worth it if you just want to use ATMs anywhere without any concerns for fees. Full refund of all charges, also frees people up from trying to take out enough all at once to avoid another fee later if you use up what you took out sooner than you thought, just take out some more...with the Schwab card you can just chuckle at those high fees that display on the screen, and I've never found another more compatible card, seems to work everywhere no matter where I go.

---------- Post added January 11th, 2016 at 12:54 PM ----------

Oh yes, I remember those times, Canadians seemed to be everywhere you traveled back then. We've got it really good right now! Combine that with sub $2.00 gasoline, Yee-haw!

Yeah, that's a side benefit, thinning out the Canadian herds down there. :)

Yeah, that's a side benefit, thinning out the Canadian herds down there. :)

Personally, I like Canadians. They are usually much more polite than Americans, and their accents are hilarious (though I'm certain that they say the same things about us Texans)!

It's not just the Texan accent, it's the volume. I hear a Texan before I see one, lol!!!

I was having dinner at Pizza Rolandi's with a German couple. A very loud and rowdy group of tourists barged through the restaurant and sat at the table beside us. They all were all laughing, shouting, and carrying on so loud we could hardly hear each other at our table, where we were speaking Spanish, as I don't speak German, and my friends were more comfortable with Spanish than English. After a while, one of them asked me "Why are Americans so loud?" I replied, "I don't think all Americans are loud. Some are courteous and some are not." And then, I pointed out to her that by the sound of the accent, it was clear to me that folks at the table next to us were Canadians!

I was having dinner at Pizza Rolandi's with a German couple. A very loud and rowdy group of tourists barged through the restaurant and sat at the table beside us. They all were all laughing, shouting, and carrying on so loud we could hardly hear each other at our table, where we were speaking Spanish, as I don't speak German, and my friends were more comfortable with Spanish than English. After a while, one of them asked me "Why are Americans so loud?" I replied, "I don't think all Americans are loud. Some are courteous and some are not." And then, I pointed out to her that by the sound of the accent, it was clear to me that folks at the table next to us were Canadians!

We like our beer and we can get a little rowdy with said beer. Most often we are still polite drunks though :p

Just my opinion, but I think we will see a 2 handle by the time we go back.

One of mexico's top export is crude petroleum. Oil is falling out of bed. The fed is broadcasting 4 rate hikes for 2016 (probably get 2) while the rest of the world is easing. I think things will get much worse before they get better. Like you said time will tell. God only knows what could happen between now and then. So who knows really? My guess is a 2 handle tho.

I sent a picture of you two to Cat last night. I have one with a eel swimming through her legs, I should send that one too.

Deepsea, his wife, a few Texans, one Canadian and myself all shared a boat a few weeks back. The Texans were nothing but polite and respectful. The Canadian was fantastic to have on the boat too. We all traveled from different places and countries to get there, but once on the boat we had a fantastic time diving together. That's one of the things I love about being on a dive boat.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but I think we will see a 2 handle by the time we go back.

One of mexico's top export is crude petroleum. Oil is falling out of bed. The fed is broadcasting 4 rate hikes for 2016 (probably get 2) while the rest of the world is easing. I think things will get much worse before they get better. Like you said time will tell. God only knows what could happen between now and then. So who knows really? My guess is a 2 handle tho.

I sent a picture of you two to Cat last night. I have one with a eel swimming through her legs, I should send that one too.

Deepsea, his wife, a few Texans, one Canadian and myself all shared a boat a few weeks back. The Texans were nothing but polite and respectful. The Canadian was fantastic to have on the boat too. We all traveled from different places and countries to get there, but once on the boat we had a fantastic time diving together. That's one of the things I love about being on a dive boat.

As they say... "There's an ass on every boat and if you can't tell who it is it may be you!". I am pleased to say that on 3P's boats I am usually wondering if it is me! Please do send that other pic to Cat!

And now that I can, I need to pick a MX bank and open an account just to 'have' one.

I'm happy with Banamex. They have a good English-speaking executive and almost ridiculous account security. We drove to MA just to open a Citibank account so we could link and transfer funds. We do that via a moderate scheduled transfer so we do automatic cost-balancing (buying more pesos when they're cheap and fewer when they're expensive) but also tend to transfer extra when we think pesos seem particularly cheap. We can then use that account to pay stuff on the island since almost everything in Mexico can be done by interbank transfers. It also gives us a Mexican credit card which makes some things easier (such as convincing MAYAir we should get the local price).

Back
Top Bottom