Doing rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironically, I had to surface a panicked diver yesterday. I've only got the class portion done due to schedule. Suddenly I got some real world experience. I dumped her bcd, reached under her arm and held her wrist while bring us both up. I got lucky, though...we happened to surface right next to an instructor who immediately came over and helped tow. Her single student was already at surface with air in bcd so the student just finned along side us. Turns out coughing underwater non-stop freaked the diver out and was causing very shallow breathing. Once on the surface, everything calmed down just fine.

Note: I didn't dump all her weight, etc. I had plenty of buoyancy options (suit, wing and her bcd) and figured it would help control the ascent with a properly weighted diver. At the surface, the instructor did remove weight/mask for the tow and I took those from her.

Ironically, I had to surface a panicked diver yesterday. I've only got the class portion done due to schedule. Suddenly I got some real world experience. I dumped her bcd, reached under her arm and held her wrist while bring us both up. I got lucky, though...we happened to surface right next to an instructor who immediately came over and helped tow. Her single student was already at surface with air in bcd so the student just finned along side us. Turns out coughing underwater non-stop freaked the diver out and was causing very shallow breathing. Once on the surface, everything calmed down just fine.

Note: I didn't dump all her weight, etc. I had plenty of buoyancy options (suit, wing and her bcd) and figured it would help control the ascent with a properly weighted diver. At the surface, the instructor did remove weight/mask for the tow and I took those from her.
You did what was important, you recognized a problem and took steps to help someone through an issue safely. That in my opinion is what it's all about, you didn't need a team of special circumstances. You see, you recognize and then you act

Back
Top Bottom