Doing my DM in Colombia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexinWanderland

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi! I'm looking for advice on where in the world to do my Divemaster course.

Currently I'm a rescue diver with about 200 dives. I've worked as an underwater videographer in the Cayman Islands and in Koh Tao and spent three years traveling with my boyfriend who was working as a Staff Instructor, so I'm somewhat familiar with the industry. This year I won a continuing education grant from the Women Divers' Hall of Fame and so I'm finally going to do my Divemaster!

I'm considering options around the globe but I am really drawn to the idea of Colombia. I'd love to take Spanish lessons and explore this part of the world. I'd consider other options in South America as well!

I'm looking for a balance of diving and a youthful, fun lifestyle. Which is to say I don’t want to do it in Koh Tao, for example, where the lifestyle is fantastic but I’m not excited by the diving... and I don’t want to do it in some remote Caribbean island were the diving is mind-blowing but the mood is too relaxed and there won't be independent travelers around. In my ideal world I'd find a place where there will be other Divemasters, good diving, good party and some non-diving activities.

Anyway if anyone can give me information about the diving or lifestyle anywhere such as Cartagena, Taganga, etc. I'd really appreciate it!

Alexinwanderland
In my opinion I think you should look into San Andres Island it has what you are looking for mentioned in your post. LEt me know if you need any more information about San Andres Island
Ciao
Tad

utila in the honduran bay islands could be a fit for you

Alexinwanderland
In my opinion I think you should look into San Andres Island it has what you are looking for mentioned in your post. LEt me know if you need any more information about San Andres Island
Ciao
Tad

Thank you, I will definitely do some research on San Andres! How would you rate the diving, nightlife, cost of living, etc?

---------- Post Merged at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:53 PM ----------

utila in the honduran bay islands could be a fit for you

I visited Utila once for a week and while I know it seems like the obvious choice for me... I didn't love it! I think it was just a little too small for me. Ah well!

Thank you, I will definitely do some research on San Andres! How would you rate the diving, nightlife, cost of living, etc

Diving is some of the best in the Caribbean in my opinion. Not to much into the night life myself but it is there a night there and I have heard it is pretty good.
Cost of living is relative, compared to America it is dirt cheap, food seems to be expensive or similar to American prices when eating out. Beer is cheep about 1us or 2000-2500COP for a bottle.
Ciao
Tad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom