Colombia/Ecuador Pacific Coast diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacoen

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm traveling in South America and am currently in Colombia, and will soon be heading down to Ecuador. I've already been diving around Colombia's Caribbean coast and am looking for suggestions on where to dive on the Pacific coast instead (and in which of those countries).

Obvious choice would of course be the Galapagos isles, but those may unfortunately be out of our budget for now... So is there some poor man's Galapagos Islands along the Pacific coast that we should consider?

Some info:
  • It'll be me and my girlfriend, both advanced owd with a little over 100 dives. We've got some experience with heavier currents (Komodo). We prefer warmer diving but realise that may be hard around there. No experience with drysuits.
  • We'd love to see big stuff, mainly hammerheads, mantas and/or whale sharks.
  • This would likely be for some time in February.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Look into Gorgona. It was a penal colony in Colombia. I live in Colombia and dive in the Caribbean and hope to hit Gorgona this year.

A quick summary of your Carribean coast diving would be appreciated. Cartagena is on our list of places to visit.

Sorry I have nothing re your question.

A quick summary of your Carribean coast diving would be appreciated. Cartagena is on our list of places to visit.

Sorry I have nothing re your question.
In Cartagena I recommend Diving Planet. Most of the DCs there will stay as close to Cartagena as possible and take you to some very unspectacular places. Diving Planet takes you further out in and around the Islas del Rosario. I sometimes also dove with Makarela but will probably only dive with them when I want to hunt lionfish.

In Cartagena I recommend Diving Planet. Most of the DCs there will stay as close to Cartagena as possible and take you to some very unspectacular places. Diving Planet takes you further out in and around the Islas del Rosario. I sometimes also dove with Makarela but will probably only dive with them when I want to hunt lionfish.
Good to know, thanks.

There is a little island a poor mans Galapagos off the Ecuadorian coast . Be careful who takes you so your not stuck with snorklers and dive students

Thank you for your advice.
The dive students were among the Colombians, but each group was diving following his own level....
An experimented organizator aboard and everything goes right.

Back
Top Bottom