Doing it Solo - DIS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smokey braden:
mikeferrara,
in post #34 i noticed you were somewhat negative concerning the sdi program for solo diving.

I sure am.
are you sir, in a position to write a program for solo diving that would be acceptable to everyone?

The problem I have with the course has more to do with how it's marketed and how the course is used.

Do you remember the events surrounding the introduction of the course? SD magazine printed a series of articles with titles like "The dangers of buddy diving" Those articles of course talked about poorly done buddy diving. You know?...the infamous and much feared "instabuddy". Like I said, when you do buddy diving poorly you can expect the results to be poor. Of course the proposed solution was solo diving and they raised the question...shouldn't there be a class?...and if we had a certification, might not the charters let us solo dive? After some number of articles like that, miracle of miracles...the SDI solo course was anounced.

My assertion here is simple. SD was just running a promotional camaign for the SDI solo course introduction and specifically targeting divers who were having trouble buddy diving. If we really wanted to promote solo diving in a responsible way, is that the audience we would target? It was a good marketing decision though. Divers who have wanted to dive alone have always done so. The SDI solo course is about promoting it and selling it.

What's the problem with all of that? Simple. Solo diving is a fine solution for the diver who just wants to dive alone. Does that make sense? On the other hand, the solution for poor buddy diving is to find out what you're doing wrong and fixt it. Of course one reason we have so many problems with our buddies is that the agencies do such a lousy job of teaching buddy diving. Well, it's worse than that. While they tell us to dive with a buddy, they really don't teach very much at all about how to actually do that. Why would we expect any of them to be any good?

So now, one of the very same agencies who failed so miserably in training up a bunch of buddies for us is going to sell us a solo diving certification so we won't be forced to dive with all those lousy buddies that they trained. LOL should we trust them to do any better job of teaching solo diving?

if the sdi program is lacking the proper training could you fill in the gaps so a diver could receive the best possible training?
could i as student, be your pupil and learn to master the skills needed to dive solo?
regards,

Don't make any mistakes here. Our certification system has far more to do with marketing than it ever has or will ever have to do with proper training. If what you really want is the best possible training, the first step is to stop swallowing all the BS that the magazines and the agencies are shoveling at you.

Note that in post 34 I asked a trained technical diver if they got anything from the course...and they noted that a primary reason they took the course was to gain access. That's how is it with so much of this certification BS...we're purchasing access and not training.

All that said, if you want to get into a discussion of the course standards and what's taught, I'd be happy to do that.

MikeFerrara:

Don't make any mistakes here. Our certification system has far more to do with marketing than it ever has or will ever have to do with proper training.
This is why I pretty much soured on the idea of solo certification training. Setting aside the quality debate for a second, if the SDI class is commercially successful then other agencies will follow and i have little doubt that competition for student dollars will result in lowered standards. That is exactly what happened with NITROX. First it was the voodoo gas that'll get you killed, then it majically became safe and ultimaely a quicky specialty for the more common mixes.

At the end of the day though we have to recognize that when it comes to training agencies don't train people, instructors train people. My view, find an instructor with impeccable credentials for the kind of diving you're interested in.

TomP:
At the end of the day though we have to recognize that when it comes to training agencies don't train people, instructors train people. My view, find an instructor with impeccable credentials for the kind of diving you're interested in.

I could not agree with you more here and that is exactly what I have done.

I think that the attitude of the student is as important, if not more so, as the ability of the instructor and the coarse material. Haveing said that, I will admitt that my previos intrest in solo diveing coarses was motivated by gaining access on charters/liveaboards. Yes I know of one liveaboard the recognizes SDI's solo certificate. Solo diveing with buddies is far more prevailent than many of us would like to admitt. As an amateur photographer I've certainly been in this sittuation. Try swimming around an OW class taking pictures in Vortex Springs. Now who's your buddy? The instructor? at least that's what we tell the students, and we do go through some of the motions to communicate that thought to them.

Agree with all who say solo is just that, you and what you can and can't do are out there, to return or not. Ain't for most, will probably be debated till we're all fish food...

Training for solo...skills taught and learned from beginning, and more aquired along the way are obviously good for buddy and solo. Redundant air is a buddy thing and a solo thing. Self rescue to help buddy...isn't that solo training?!

Obviously solo is more mind than gear. If the brain aint up to it, what difference does it make about what gear you got.

Don't get me wrong, I like to teach, but beyond solid scuba skills what are we supposed to teach? Confidence? Aren't we doing that already? I strongly believe the solo decision is, and should be with the person about to make it, not some instructor about to endorse it.

Hoa!

dugout:
To each his own. I don't feel there is any dive that shouldn't be done solo if the diver is fully prepared for the dive and skilled enough to plan it and execute it. Good thread.:thumb:

dugout: I agree. For almost 35 years I have a been a "same day, same ocean diver" It just is way more relaxing and fun, for me. I do dive with my sons and others it can be fun and a nice shared experience. My most favorite times have usually been solo. I know this is, sometimes, a controversial topic. My view is, in the end, most divers are diving solo, they just don't know it. I could do a little laundry list of personal experiences but, no need. Each divers choice.

A solo diver, to me, is any dive where you are far enough away from someone to get or give help.

I think that skills needed should be: calmness and comfort in the water(not really a tangible thing, but needed) self rescue and good decision making skills.

Redundant gas? All dive, every dive. And by that I mean doubles or a 40cuft slung stage.

I limit my solo dives to familiar, very familiar sites when I can.

mdb:
My view is, in the end, most divers are diving solo, they just don't know it.
Blitz:
A solo diver, to me, is any diver where you are far enough away from someone to get or give help.

I know this is getting a little old but the terminology freak in me just can't let it go. To wit, if you didn't make a conscious decision to dive solo before you entered the water, you may find yourself to be alone but you are not diving solo. Further to that point, someone with the proficiency and mindset to dive solo shouldn't be losing track of buddies on buddy dives or be inclined to dive with a buddy that's unreliable.

TomP:
I know this is getting a little old but the terminology freak in me just can't let it go. To wit, if you didn't make a conscious decision to dive solo before you entered the water, you may find yourself to be alone but you are not diving solo. Further to that point, someone with the proficiency and mindset to dive solo shouldn't be losing track of buddies on buddy dives or be inclined to dive with a buddy that's unreliable.

Did I say anything about entering the water with a buddy? I don't recall that. I recall saying that people are too far away from you or you from them to be of help. Put your terminology freak away and don't question my diving decisions if you nothing about me or my diving practices. If you want clarification, ask.

Blitz:
Did I say anything about entering the water with a buddy? I don't recall that. I recall saying that people are too far away from you or you from them to be of help. Put your terminology freak away and don't question my diving decisions if you nothing about me or my diving practices. If you want clarification, ask.

Blitz - the 'you' in my post was a intended to be generic; i was not challenging you, your decisions, or diving practice. Sorry if it came across that way. I simply wanted to advance a different opinion. That being, that if one views themself as diving solo, the proximity of other divers is irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom