Doing a Dive History presentation, looking for some books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very good report -- But more applicable to the thread at the beginning of the SCUBA board titled "Book and Media reviews"

Suggest that it be also listed there.

Please bear in mind that the Munson lung was a early very rebreather and was employed as an escape lung on the Squalus.

This story/book is mentioned in the following threads here on ScubaBoard:

Invention of Trimix? - Technical Diving Specialties

Diving books and/or movies - Basic Scuba Discussions

Good books about diving? - Basic Scuba Discussions

This week in Diving History - Technical Diving Specialties- Nedu q&a

USS Squalus/Sailfish ~~ BELL --FOUND! - Book and Media reviews (Sam Miller :))

The OP (psiborg1812) asked for books on the history of scuba in the US which sounds like that would encompass early rebreather, rec, or technical... I thought this book would be appropriate as it tells about the testing of the effects of deep dives, decompression, and the beginnings of the use of helium to combat narcosis.

Ellsberg also wrote a very good book on the Squalus published in 1940s

Note that you were from SoCal...Where?

I was in Jacksonville Florida last week -- very humid for this Californian

Thanks for the post,
sdm

Thanks for the referral on Ellsberg. I'll look into getting a copy.

:eek:fftopic:

All over SoCal. From Atascadero to Orange County to San Bernardino County.. Funny thing is I learned scuba in Dallas, but finally made some dives in Catalina and San Diego's wreck alley last year. Very cool and will be out again hopefully this fall. Florida may be humid, but the diverse diving makes up for it.

:focus:

Hey all, i'm doing a presentation of the History of SCUBA in the US in a few weeks, do you guys know of any good history books on the subject? Any people i could email to get more info? I'm gonna be cruising around this site and Vintagedoublehose.com for more info, but I'd also like to check out any books that have info on the subject.

Thanks!!

This one will take you from "old world" free divers to habitats and "Man in the Sea projects of the 60's and 70's.

"INTO THE DEEP The History of Man's Underwater Exploration" by Robert F. Marx.
Van Nostrand Rienhold Limited 1978

I also recommend the National Geographic series of "Undersea Treasures."
You can find both in most good public libraries.

Back
Top Bottom