Dogfish sightings.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skookumchuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Some genius on the evening news last night opined that since municipal bureaucrats don't have the authority to ban sharkfin soup and the feds don't have the cojones, it may be an option to ban the importation of them. He also felt that there may be an economic opportunity for B.C. since our coast is "overrun" with dogfish and an expanded commercial fishery for them should be explored. I started diving in 1990 and at that time dogfish sightings, while not an every dive sort of thing, weren't overly rare either. From my log-books from those days there are entries of "huge school of dogfish" in Hotham Sound and " also saw dogfish, one very large." Madrona Wall. 1996 saw the birth of my first child and the start of an extended surface interval. I returned to diving in 2006 and since then have logged just over 500 dives at all of the old sites I used to love and a fair handfull of new ones. In those dives I've had a single sighting of a lone individual at Porteau. What I want to know is if it has just been luck of the draw for me or is the situation that dire.
When was the last time you saw a dogfish?
How many dives have you done without seeing one?
Andrew.

In over 500 dives,
My first sighting was on my second solo dive at Whytecliffe where two buzzed me a couple of times. Aug 26th, 2007.
The next was at Porteau, recorded here between 0:15 and 0:30 Aug 19th 2012.
That's it.

[video=youtube;FCIfNjIszOI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCIfNjIszOI&list=UU5zvhnU0XYpf_cadpYJYkhQ& index=14[/video]

Dogfish in the Saanich Inlet for a couple months each year. Maybe one, sometimes two sightings in a dive...but most often zero in this time.

Although supposedly common to fishermen, they're not so common to me when diving. I want more.

We use to see them fairly regularly all over the Island . Have not seen any for a few years now . Halibut fishermen still catch them regularly at 200 feet or deeper .

I'm coming up on dive #600 since 2008. I have seen a grand total of 2 dogfish over all those dives. One at Whytecliff and one at Henderson Pt.
I'd hardly call that being "overrun."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom