• Yes

Votes: 137 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 95 38.3%
  • I don't have a significant other

Votes: 16 6.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My fiance is really willing and eager to get certified. For your case, I would just convince her there is no harm in diving if it's done safe. I guess if she trusts you, it will be really easy for her to begin diving because you would; literally; "be there" for her.

I'm lucky that SO enjoys motorcycling, hiking, and kayaking with me BUT she won't dive. Like Diveral's situation, we've compromised with her doing some snorkeling while I dive but it definitely cuts into my dive time.

My husband and I both dive.

Be careful what you wish for . . . :)

David The Gnome:
Ever since I started my open water certification I've been trying to talk my girlfriend into getting certified too. Unfortunately she's terrified of swimming in anything other than a pool. Because of this I gave up trying to talk her into it and just accepted that it's something we won't get to do together. Come vacation time I'm afraid this might cause some friction between us. I just got my certification last month so while I'm planning our vacation for this summer I keep looking for places with good dive sites. The problem is that's not really fair for her because she wouldn't get to dive with me. So basically the way I've tried to work things out is to have one vacation with the two of us and then another one later with me and my dive buddy. This won't always work since I won't always have the luxury of being able to have two separate vacations. We live in Kentucky so if I want to do any sort of dives I have to travel to do so.

For those of you who have significant others who don't dive, how do you support your hobby and at the same time keep them happy? :huh:

My wife wants to dive but cannot due to exercise-induced asthma. My daughter (almost 13) just got certified memorial day weekend.

We have scheduled a vacation to Curacao at Breezes Curacao. Since it is an all-inclusive it gives my wife a lot of things to do while my daughter and I are diving. It also gives us a lot of things to do together when my daughter and I are not diving.

My wife is happy with that solution. My wife does not argue when I Buy dive gear. I usually explain the purpose of the equipment and the cost associated with it. She is very explicit about getting good quality safety related gear (BCD, Regulator, Dive computer etc.).

Vacation planning is more challenging than it was before diving but it is also more satisfying when it works out.

I hope this helps you out.

How about no but getting certified in the poll as an option?

My wife can't dive due to health problems. She hates that I have an activity that she can't share with me. I do things with her so that she won't complain so much when I dive with out her. Soon my son will be certified and hopefully I can do more diving.

David The Gnome asked,
For those of you who have significant others who don't dive, how do you support your hobby and at the same time keep them happy?

First, I got my brother in law hooked on the idea. That way, on family vacations, we skip off for dive outings, watch the kids for our spouses on non-dive days, and everyone stays happy.

Second, I approached the husbands of other couples in our social circle. Mixed up a few drinks, watched a DVD of some unreal tropical diving... and that's all it took. Those two start their classes this Tuesday. Once they are certified, we'll have no problem scheduling occasional weekend dive charters, or diving on vacation together.

All of our spouses are non-divers.

As for the associated cost of diving? My wife has time-intensive, gear intensive interests all her own, and I fully support those.

Good luck,

Steve

My wife dives. We both got certified together, became instructors together, did our cave training together. It's great, but it gets really pricey when everything you buy is x2! :D Underwater disagreements can also be interesting! :D Like TSandM said, be careful what you wish for! Actually, it's great that we both dive. My wife isn't quite adventurous as I am (she would use a different word), but we've worked through that. She realizes that one day I will probably go on a Doria trip. She has no desire to do that.

My wife and I do a couple of vacations each year with family. My sister dives, but she has one of those nondiving spouses. My mother, also a nondiver, comes along on those vacations. (We live across the country from each other and decided destination vacations were a good way to see each other and the world). What helps is that we have more than one of each - diver and nondiver. We plan combo vacations all the time. Last year we spent a few days in Mexico. The nondivers spent time on the beach while the divers went diving. We did lots of shore diving and one tank trips so we got to spend SIs together and the nondivers loved the beach time. In a couple of weeks we'll be in S. Florida for a week. We have 2 tank trips scheduled a couple of mornings while the nondivers eat breakfast and shop. We have an afternoon 2 tank trip scheduled while the nondivers shop and site see. Out of 5 days the divers are spending 12 hours diving (6 dives) off boats and the rest of the diving will happen from shore while the nondivers are on the beach. Then we'll head up to N. Florida and dive the springs while the nondivers enjoy the state parks.

It can be tough balancing out the activities, but it is possible. Your best bet would be to find another disfunctional :wink: couple so you have a dive buddy and your gf has a surface buddy. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom