Does your LDS try and gouge you on trips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about all of the trips they offer, but the LDS I use is offering a 3 day, 2 night trip to the grand bahamas for 159.00 which includes airfare, 2 dives, hotel and transfers to and from hotel. Not a bad price I must say. The dive shop is in Clearwater, FL and you have to get to FT. Lauderdale by yourself to catch the flight, but thats not too far of a drive from clearwater (about 4 1/2 hours by car). I am guessing that the hotel and flight probably cost in excess of 350.00 pp and than add in the price of the dives (66.00) and you are already saving over 150.00.

It always seemed a little odd to me that dive shops organized their own trips. A small business has to focus and really figure out where their highest ROIC (or time) is going to be. If they aren't making money on the travel, then they should partner with travel agencies and let the travel agency spend the time organizing the trip. Partnering with one or more travel agencies seems like a great way to drive business to the dive shop as I suspect there are many more people booking tropical tours than go to the dive shop.

some profit (At least it appears so) but I would not call it gouging or overly unreasonable.

I have no problem with how they handle pricing - - and I don't need to know excatly what their profit is.

seabass once bubbled...
It always seemed a little odd to me that dive shops organized their own trips. A small business has to focus and really figure out where their highest ROIC (or time) is going to be. If they aren't making money on the travel, then they should partner with travel agencies and let the travel agency spend the time organizing the trip. Partnering with one or more travel agencies seems like a great way to drive business to the dive shop as I suspect there are many more people booking tropical tours than go to the dive shop.

You have got to be kidding. Dive shops are like sharks. Each one is only interested in it's own good. Ask any local shop if they work together with other LDS to negotiate better prices from distributors. They don't. In my valley, some if the dive shops are are more territorial than others. Some will mark their territory by pi$$ing all over other shops (by telling you things like, "we get all of their students when they find out how bad the instruction is") while you are in their shop.*

How can you expect them to work with other businesses that might actually help them? Like someone said above, they are too busy signing pricing agreements.

*Mike F. and others. If you were my LDS, I would have completely different things to say. I have told you before I wish there were dive shops in town like you. And I may have actually found one. I am building a very strong rapport with Neptune Divers in SLC.

I belong to a dive club that books frequent, inexpensive weekend trips, as well as longer trips to some great destinations. Because of the low price I don't need a lot of encouragement to go diving. This can be good for the LDS. The more a person dives, the more likely he or she is to buy gear or get his or her gear serviced. An active dive club affiliated with an LDS can help the LDS maintain a customer base by keeping people involved in diving after they finish their training. Extending dive club members a little, token discount on goods and/or services doesn't hurt either.

seabass once bubbled...
Partnering with one or more travel agencies seems like a great way to drive business to the dive shop

Sorry if this strays off the point of the post a little....

seabass once bubbled...
If they aren't making money on the travel, then they should partner with travel agencies and let the travel agency spend the time organizing the trip. Partnering with one or more travel agencies seems like a great way to drive business to the dive shop as I suspect there are many more people booking tropical tours than go to the dive shop. [/B]

I totally agree,

I've been stressing this point to my local dive centers. They want to do lots of trips, but usually only manage to fill 1 a year (if that). For at least one local shop, I think they just do it so they can go on a trip for no $$, just some work on their part. Makes sense. I think that is great.

For many small shops, going on a trip means, closing the store for a week. Not a huge deal once a year, but too much more than that means lost revenues.

I offer them a chance to make more money from divers who will travel anyway (not with the lds) as a bonus.

By allowing me to advertise in their stores, they get a commision on travelers that do not go with them. Bomus, the people usually buy new gear, odds & ends, gear bags etc. in the dive center.

Also, since travel is my main focus, I can spend more time making the best experience possible for divers/travelers. As an instructor, I can relate to what divers want. Unlike many travel agents, who deal far less with SCUBA related travel.

I have found a few that are willing to do this. Others seem hesitant, as if perhaps I am somehow competing with them.

Makes sense to me:

where else to advertise but the ldc, thats where your target audience gather. Great for me

Why not make a commish on divers who are going to travel anyway-great for the ldc

People buy gear before travel-great for ldc

I think this makes sense, How bout you guy & gals?

I focus on what I do best, Travel, DM duties and instruction. I do not spread myself thin by having the additional challenges of running a Dive Center, dealing with retail etc..

The LDC does what they do best, retail, classes and a trip a year. They don't have to deal with the additional stress of running a travel agency within their store.

So, any of you Dive Center owners interested in commisions on my tours?:D :D

Doing an Aruba tour in April

Andrew
o2scuba@aquatic1.com
www.aquatic1.com

But I was surprised to discover how much more it cost me to do a trip with an LDS rather than on my own. My fault for assuming their price would be competetive and their profit would come from the group discount. I would rather have had someone explain, up front, that the benefit of LDS trips is the comraderie and additional service (handholding that I am happy to do without) and not in any way a price bargain. It was a one and only trip of that type and the comraderie was nice but not worth a couple hundred a head.

My 2¢ worth,

In my other hobby (railroading) travel is something that comes up now and then. Special trips (train rides) are sometimes sponsered by various companies and some times by non-profit organiziations. With all the options available with events like this, one needs to figure out what the costs are and see if one option is the best out of the others.

To link this to the current topic at hand,

If you are considering a trip and find a price for much less than the LDS, inquire of the LDS why their prices are higher. A printed statement of costs from an independent travel agency or other itemized trip plan might be a good thing to have.

LDS's are trying to make a living and while I'm always looking for ways to save some money on my diving. I still want to see my LDS around and will try to patronize when appropriate.

I've never planned or been on a dive trip but, I have on the above mentioned and I can't see it being much different.

I don't claim to know everything, so I give of my advice freely and hope it is of some help,

SD

Our shop hasn't done much in the way of trips. I work a day job and my wife needs to be in the store. I have a limited amount of vacation and don't intend to spend it working. We have tried partnering with travel agents and have spoke with about all of them in the area. We have also tried to fill sopts on trips being run by other shops. Divers don't seem interested in any trip we offer unless it is a group thing. Now I have one other instructor who is free to travel so we'll start putting trips together.

Many resorts offer diveshops a discount and/or free spots for a big enough group. All this does is reduce the cost for the LDS rep who goes with the group. Dive shops aren't travel agents and may not have access to the best deals especially when it comes to airline tickets. It all depends on the kind of trip you want to take. If you want an LDS guide you have to pay for it.

would be for a travel agency owner to also own the dive shop....or vice versa......:cuddle: together it would solve multiple problems............:hehe:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom