Does this harm my regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlickNick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
When i washed off my equipment last week i forgot to blow the watter out of my reg after washing it. Just now i did it (one week later) and spray came out. Could the water sitting in the reg have hurt or harmed it? Thanks!
-nick

Sea water?

Why does your reg have water in it anyway? Rinse and hang to dry. With the dust cap on. As for your question the answer can be yes. Freshwater is not pure and devoid of minerals, mud, silt, etc.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

When i washed off my equipment last week i forgot to blow the watter out of my reg after washing it. Just now i did it (one week later) and spray came out. Could the water sitting in the reg have hurt or harmed it? Thanks!
-nick

SlickNick,

Can you describe in detail what you usually do to clean your regulator after a dive? (Nothing I routinely do can remotely be described as "blowing the water out.")

Safe Diving,

Ronald

SlickNick,

Can you describe in detail what you usually do to clean your regulator after a dive? (Nothing I routinely do can remotely be described as "blowing the water out.")

Safe Diving,

Ronald

I wash it in the sink in the basement, the spread it out on the table. Now a week later i hooked it up to my tank to check the pressure and i purged it and some water came blowing out. Not much.

I wash it in the sink in the basement, the spread it out on the table. Now a week later i hooked it up to my tank to check the pressure and i purged it and some water came blowing out. Not much.

SlickNick,

If you're following the procedure detailed in your owner's manual, then by all means continue to use it. However, this is NOT the procedure I use.

Whenever you submerge an unpressurized reg, you run the risk of flooding it. If the purge button is depressed even slightly, water can enter the reg. Swishing an unpressurized reg around in a wash bucket, or a sink, carries with it the risk of having its purge button depressed, which admits water. I wouldn't wash my reg this way. I suspect this is why water is entering your reg.

The procedure I use: I wash my reg by putting it on a tank and pressurizing it. (Leave the tank valve on/open!) Then, using clean, potable, tap water flowing liberally from a hose, I flood every space, every orifice, in/on the reg, including the 1st stage holes that lead to the balancing chamber. Under flowing water, I manipulate every button/switch, including the purge button and the HP hose swivel and the 2nd stage hose swivel. Under flowing water, I rub my hands over the surface of the hoses and the first and second stages, including the mouthpiece. Flood the second stage through the mouthpiece so water comes over the exhaust valve and out of the exhaust ports/tees. Make sure you wash the dust cap, too, if it's attached to your first stage.

After doing this wash a couple of times, I turn the water off, take the tank and reg away from any bucket/sink of water, depressurize the tank, remove the reg (careful: don't let water drip inside the high-pressure inlet!), dry the dust cap, put the dust cap on the reg, lay the req out to dry. That's it!

My first regs were purchase in 1987. I still dive with these regs (Scubapros). They've never missed a beat. I've always followed this cleaning procedure.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Last edited:
SlickNick,

If you're following the procedure detailed in your owner's manual, then by all means continue to use it. However, this is NOT the procedure I use.

Whenever you submerge an unpressurized reg, you run the risk of flooding it. If the purge button is depressed even slightly, water can enter the reg. Swishing an unpressurized reg around in a wash bucket, or a sink, carries with it the risk of having its purge button depressed, which admits water. I wouldn't wash my reg this way. I suspect this is why water is entering your reg.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

thanks! ill make sure to avoid this, but is there any way that the water sitting in there for a week could have harmed it?

thanks! ill make sure to avoid this, but is there any way that the water sitting in there for a week could have harmed it?

If water inadvertently entered my reg, I would do a complete disassembly, cleaning, and rebuild—or take it to a dive shop and have the certified tech do this. ASAP. Especially if salt water were involved.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

If water inadvertently entered my reg, I would do a complete disassembly, cleaning, and rebuild—or take it to a dive shop and have the certified tech do this. ASAP. Especially if salt water were involved.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

It was fresh water. Do you think i should go get it cleaned or do you think it can slide this time?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom