Does it make sense to enroll in a Divemaster course with no intention to work with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An agency's standards for certifying a divemaster relate to what happens during that training. Once the DM is employed, the agency is done with the process and has nothing to say about the standards of behavior during employment. The DM's employer sets standards of conduct for his or her employees. If you see a DM doing something you don't like while on duty, then the proper authority to contact is the employer.

In my experience, EFR (the cpr bit of rescue) was taught by a seperate agency. In Australia this was St John Ambulance. If you haven't taken the rescue course, mine was PADI, then don't dimiss it. Negative comments come across as just lazy and arrogant.
I got a lot from it, and I had four years prior training with CPR in Hospitals.

Its not an easy course to do, and takes time and effort to complete.

More valuable in the water than the DM course, which is a prep for agency instruction. Although the DM leadership training is worthwhile.

And remember, it's all continuing education, not a final rating.
Noone is a master Diver, not even an American :)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Play the ball and not the man. Ad hominem attacks are generally not tolerated in Scubaboard and are against the TOS. If you don't believe that a member's post contains enough information or you want to know more, then ask for the more NICELY.

And if you believe that a member's post is offside/off topic or against TOS then USE the report function. Do not address it yourself within the thread, thereby becoming an offender yourself.

I've done some cleanup in this thread so if you get notice that one of your posts has been deleted, now you know why.

Just wondering.
How many times have you performed CPR on a victim of circumstance?

Care to explain for those of us that have not done it? Besides a pdf
About a dozen, maybe two dozen. All but one stayed dead.

Once the DM is employed, the agency is done with the process and has nothing to say about the standards of behavior during employment.
Agencies can revoke your teaching status if you're found to be negligible. Although, too many complaints and your employer would terminate your employment.

I've never witnessed any such behavior from a Divemaster in any part of the world.

I went on a boat dive with a DM I Have done hundreds of dives with. He forgot to put his BCD on the boat so grabbed a tank and led the dive without his BCD. Sure was fun to watch him trying out where to have the tank on the dive.

Professional courtesy does not extend to tolerance of non-professional behavior.

Yup a DM was fired from diving at a dive center I was at when he pulled on octopus off a reef wall for divers he was leading to take photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom