Does gearing up really tire you out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jocasseegirl

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ladies, does gearing up really tire you out? I'm finding that by the time I hoist the tank, suit up, struggle to put on gloves, etc., I'm really feeling tired. FYI - I'm 53, in very good health, and exercise regularly. I don't have quite the strength in my hands that I used to have, and that's probably contributing to my feeling of struggling to get ready to dive. I know that scuba gear is not designed for the boat, and we all know it's awkward until you get in the water. I was taught "you dive it, you haul it." My dive buddy (who is also a lady) finds it tiring, too. I'm just wondering if that's normal. Thanks for the input!

Only after about 5 days on a liveaboard where you dive 4-5 times a day.

Jocasseegirl:
Ladies, does gearing up really tire you out? I'm finding that by the time I hoist the tank, suit up, struggle to put on gloves, etc., I'm really feeling tired. FYI - I'm 53, in very good health, and exercise regularly. I don't have quite the strength in my hands that I used to have, and that's probably contributing to my feeling of struggling to get ready to dive. I know that scuba gear is not designed for the boat, and we all know it's awkward until you get in the water. I was taught "you dive it, you haul it." My dive buddy (who is also a lady) finds it tiring, too. I'm just wondering if that's normal. Thanks for the input!
When I re-started diving 4 years ago, it was very tiring to gear up. I was 44, and pretty active in the water, having ridden waves 2 or 3 times a week for several years. But I wasn't that strong and the gear felt Very heavy.

Then several things happened:
1) I bought a Custom 7mm wetsuit that was much easier to don than the stock suits. Sooo much easier that I was immediately happier and more eager to dive.
2) I started shore diving after 5 months. It was really hard. I started lifting weights again at the gym. 60 dives/year.
3) I started diving more, and not liking being out of breath and tired on long surface swims. I started walking/running on a treadmill... then running. Not much, 1.5 - 2 miles a few times a week. Weight-lifting for 40 minutes a few times a week, focusing on the muscles I need for diving.

....some time passed...

4) My clothes became a little baggy as 35 pounds just sort of went away. (I retailored the wetsuit.) I found that I was getting colder in the water as I'd lost some insulation. 150 dives a year.

5) Two years ago I bought a dry suit. I am dramatically less tired now that I'm warmer in the water. SoCal waters are cold. Repetitive wetsuit diving made me tired. I see it in wetsuited divers on boats all the time. I'm much more energized, even diving 6 dives a day on liveaboards. (I never said I was normal :D )
6) I started diving a lot.... really a lot. 200+ a year. Now, gearing up is something I do all the time... several times a week. It's become the meditative preamble to the dive. It's smooth and mostly predictable. I pace myself so I stay calm and thorough. I focus on the dive.
But I very VERY clearly remember 4 years ago, when donning a suit on a tossing deck wore me out. I remember making two trips up the stairs from the beach to the parking lot, because it was too much to carry the rig plus the weights all at once. I remember doing shorter dives with smaller tanks because I needed to make it easier.

My drive to dive pushed me to raise my fitness level with a purpose.
And it worked. I have more fun because it is less perceived effort on the day of the dive. I put the hours in at the gym, and the investment pays. I dive dry and use the saved energy for more fun.

Of course, my wonderful dive partner, Ken, did comment, "The way we dive would kill most normal men." But we love it. Neither of us would have it any other way.

If you love diving, it's likely that consistent purposeful training could give you the strength and endurance to make it feel easier. Until then, modifying gear can help: small tanks, custom wetsuit. And frequent repetition makes anything easier.

Oh darn! You should dive More!! (That doesn't suck!!:D )

Have fun,
Claudette

HBDiveGirl:
My drive to dive pushed me to raise my fitness level with a purpose.
And it worked. I have more fun because it is less perceived effort on the day of the dive. I put the hours in at the gym, and the investment pays. I dive dry and use the saved energy for more fun.

Oh darn! You should dive More!! (That doesn't suck!!:D )

Have fun,
Claudette

Excellent advice - thanks! I have just joined a new gym and will be working out with weights more. Grandchildren have motivated me to do that :D I, too, have dropped 35 pounds. Otherwise, I wouldn't even attempt this. I'm really surprised at the number of seriously overweight (usually men) I see diving.

I don't get to dive much at all (I still dive wet), so my opportunity is very limited; and so far it's only been in fairly cold water, so a 7-mil suit is the norm. My buddy and I are hoping to really take advantage of the water this summer. As you say, diving more often will probably make the whole thing less stressful. We have a ball once in the water.

I vote with Claudette - I started diving when I was 41. That was 17 years ago :) I tell people I work out so hard so I can get back on the boat.

I struggled with a wet suit for about 3 years. Now I'm on my SECOND dry suit. I still dive wet when I need it as the dry suit creates more drag. Mostly I use the wet suit for Ab diving in Northern Cal.

Yes - I love diving. I won't go on vacation to any place I can't dive. I live east of the Sierra's and still get in about 70 dives a year. 60 of those are in blue water. YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. :):):)

I'm 53 too and just started diving. I also noticed that gearing up, especially on a pitching deck of a boat out in the ocean is a bit tiring. I'm certainly not 17 anymore!:shakehead

Lehmann108:
I'm 53 too and just started diving. I also noticed that gearing up, especially on a pitching deck of a boat out in the ocean is a bit tiring. I'm certainly not 17 anymore!:shakehead

Ahhh sorry. I just saw that this was the "Woman's View" board. I respectfully doff my cap and leave the room......

Lehmann108:
Ahhh sorry. I just saw that this was the "Woman's View" board. I respectfully doff my cap and leave the room......
:D With this graciousness, you should be welcomed whereEver you go.

Lehmann108:

Not to worry :wink: I just posted in the Women's Forum because I figured most of the guys wouldn't want to 'fess up that gearing up is tough. Thanks for the input!

I'm 53, and I'm sort of with Claudette. When I started this, gearing up was exhausting -- Or rather, getting the gear where it had to be to gear up was exhausting. I remember using a portable luggage cart to get a 95 to where it needed to be, because I sure wasn't going to WALK from the car to the beach wearing it.

Unlike Claudette, though, I haven't been disciplined enough to hit the gym regularly. I just dive. A lot. And lift the gear and carry the gear and wear the gear, and the strength has come through that. Now I put on doubled 85s and a 20 lb weight belt and hike to the water in it. It's work, but not as much work as that single tank was two years ago.

What does wear me out, though, is getting into three layers of undergarment and a drysuit in hot weather. I'm panting by the time I get to the water on those days.

Back
Top Bottom